Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

700lb Springs for Plate Bumper/Winch?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
700lb Springs for Plate Bumper/Winch?

What's a good spring rate if I will be putting an All Pro front bumper and winch on there?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
1st or 2nd gen?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
2nd double cab 4x4
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Any plans for skidplate at all in your future? Synthetic or steel winch cable?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
nofords08 runs similar setup (- winch) and uses 700#
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
I have 700# Kings, and got them before my bumper, winch, lights, and skids. My pre-load was almost nothing, but I've since changed that as I added more to the front. Mine rides great! Always did, actually - it never seemed stiff to me, like I heard it might without the weight.

EDIT: Like Will asked, I got the synthetic line to shave off some weight.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Probably skids in the future...and sliders and rear bumper...probably synt line.

Looks like I'll get a 700lb spring. Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good choice, OP. I have 700lb springs with bumper, winch (synthetic line), sliders and skids. Never once regretted the choice. Rides great without loading the springs down.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I like this thread. I was thinking of going to some 700lbs springs. I am running OME 886's (which are a 656lbs spring) and they don't quite seem to cut it.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
knotty has a spectacular aura aboutknotty has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
knotty's Tacoma Gallery
what coil springs are you running ?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotty View Post
what coil springs are you running ?
Me? OME 886's.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
What King's or Icon's do people run? I get confused looking at all the options on websites. I am looking to add a winch (synthetic line) and skids at some point (I already have a front plate bumper) and I want to upgrade my coilovers. I would like to get a almost level stance (slight rake) with Dakar's in the rear.

Do I want the 2.0 or 2.5 option? What do those mean? And do you get to select which pound coil you want when ordering these or do they usually come with 700# coils?

Matt
Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
go with the 700#
Old 05-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Matt, here's what little I know:

The 2.0 vs 2.5 is the diameter of the shock. Larger shock = better ride, more $, and maybe a fit issue (not sure about that last one, though).

Yes, you do get to select what # coil, but I believe Icon charges for the 700# (unlike King).

Call DSM and they'll walk you through putting a package together. There's no "set" King shock - I had to measure hole-to-hole in the rear so that they could build it correctly at the factory. I also have Dakars, and they're awesome!

Hope this helps a bit.

Aaaaaand, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
go with the 700#
Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Matt, here's what little I know:

The 2.0 vs 2.5 is the diameter of the shock. Larger shock = better ride, more $, and maybe a fit issue (not sure about that last one, though).

Yes, you do get to select what # coil, but I believe Icon charges for the 700# (unlike King).

Call DSM and they'll walk you through putting a package together. There's no "set" King shock - I had to measure hole-to-hole in the rear so that they could build it correctly at the factory. I also have Dakars, and they're awesome!

Hope this helps a bit.

Aaaaaand, this:
Thanks a bunch for the info Mike.

I see the "Build your own Mid-Travel" choice on the DSM sight, but it seems that you are required to choose a UCA when ordering. I want LR UCA's (heard negative things about uniball UCA's? and dirt/grime maybe?) but they don't have them listed. Are LR UCA's not able to be paired with Icon's / Fox's?

I am planning on just getting the Bilstein 5100's for 3''-4'' of lift or OME N182 instead of Icon's or King's in the rear although.

Matt
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Nice! I like this thread. I was thinking of going to some 700lbs springs. I am running OME 886's (which are a 656lbs spring) and they don't quite seem to cut it.

I was wondering where you got that exact spring rate, but did some research and saw 886s rated at 115 N/mm which converts nicely to 656lbs
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
I was wondering where you got that exact spring rate, but did some research and saw 886s rated at 115 N/mm which converts nicely to 656lbs
Yep!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Banned
this thread is still going on? 2.5 700# spring with plate bump and winch period.

End!

to go down any other path with armor, plate bumper and winch is really dumb!