1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big lift on small budget?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by devanb3, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Oct 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    devanb3

devanb3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    I'm wanting to do more then a 3in lift but because I'm a broke college kid I don't have the money to drop too much more then a grand I looked at the rough country but it seems cheap and I don't want a bunch of blocks... I want to do maybe belstein 5100s in front and rear and maybe a new leaf pack in rear is there a way to d this without buying a kit... I know I'll need a diff drop for more then 3" so is there a company that will sell them seperate any advice help would be awesome. I eventually want to get new ucas and spendals but if not needed right away ill wait

2. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Are you planning to install everything yourself? If not, a good chunk of your budget will be going to a shop to do the work. Big lift, quality parts, low prices...pick 2

3. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    If you want to go over 3" of lift. You may need the 5100's, AAL, spacers and blocks to achieve that. As long as you don't plan on wheeling and are planning on riding a pavement pounder I don't see why it's not doable. If you plan on wheeling even a little bit, I would not do blocks and spacers at all.

4. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    What model do you have? 2wd? 4wd? Year etc..

5. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    its a 2013 4x4 i dont plan on wheeling... mudding every now and then but not wheeling.

6. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    zboy

zboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oahu808
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    More then 3" More then a grand that's for sure

7. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Big lift on a small budget? Sounds like you're asking for problems. Don't lift until you're ready to either:

A) Pay the money to fix the broken shit on your truck after you cheaply lift it
    B) Save up and do it right the first time

8. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Not necessarily true at all, depends on if someone has the skill to do the labor end of it & what kind of access to resources (parts) one has..

9. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    True, but the best advice I think someone could give about starting to mess around with the suspension is do it right the first time. If you're on a tight budget, you're not going to do it right the first time.

10. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Too many blanket statements.

11. Oct 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

I agree with the "do it right the first time" statement, totally disagree with the last one tho' , I lifted my 1st gen a solid,fully functional 3" for less than $400....

12. Oct 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I agree with the posts that tell you to save your money. Don't get a diff drop for a 2nd generation truck (2005 and up), most of them just rotate the diff rather than actually decrease the angle of your CV joints like they are supposed to:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/218041-install-diff-drop-kit-not-install.html

If you need more than 3" of lift you're either going to have to combine a suspension lift, like the 5100's, with a body lift or go to a drop bracket kit. Either way you're looking at over $1000. If you try to get more than 3" of lift out of the Bilisteins you will damage them. 3" is the max amount of lift you can safely do on a Tacoma with purely a suspension/block lift. If you're lifting for looks cause you can at least do it right and save yourself the expensive repair bills from lifting it wrong.

13. Oct 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    sorry it took so long to respond...
    its a 2013 dbl cab 4x4
    i plan on installing everything myself
    this isn't true as there are 2 kits that are between 900-1200
    agreed
    also a correction to my original post i didnt mean a diff drop i meant to say a drop bracket
    right now im looking at bilstein 5100s front with eibach springs 5160s in rear with ome 2.75" lift leaf pack camberg uca
    can i throw a spacer on this setup to get a small amount more lift without a drop bracket or is this not possible/ too risky

14. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    You could but I don't know why you would add a spacer IMHO. Maybe if you're getting some lean in one direction or the other, but putting another 1" up front from spacers could over stress those bilisteins if there's any lift in those coils. Aren't most of those eibach coils already setup for 2-3" of lift? If you throw those on a 4" drop bracket you're going to get 7" of lift and a shitty ride, not to mention how over stressed you front end components will be with that combination of high angle joints.

Also most guys on here have nothing but bad things to say about the rough country drop bracket lifts so I might crawl those threads before investing in one. For a drop bracket lift you usually have to modify the vehicle frame so that would be hard to do on your own. I would save up for something else personally. It seems like you're trying to jam together a bunch of components that may not work well with each other.

Is there any reason you want to go drop bracket other than you have to be more than 3" off the ground? A drop bracket lift won't help you that much off road and introduces a whole new set of failure points to your truck.

One of the first questions you have to ask is what are you going to do with this truck? If it's mall crawling 10 feet in the air then don't waste your money on better shocks and coils, just get a 6" drop bracket lift. If you're going offroad then I don't think a drop bracket lift is for you.

Just my thoughts. If you disagree do what you want.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top