1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift kit help?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RDAY, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Dec 20, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    RDAY

RDAY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I def want a lift kit but the more I read the more im confused s people say don't get a spacer or block lift right? I think I want a toytech so what lift do I get what parts do I need can someone send me a link cause all I see are block kits?

Thanks Guys

2. Dec 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Here you go man, and I would go with a coil lift with the rear AAL. Either a light or medium coil. Hope this helps.

3. Dec 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    RDAY

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    yea thanks whats the diff between the light and medium?

4. Dec 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    get the camburg kit, its like 2500 for everything, deavers, COs, UCAs every thing

5. Dec 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    The mediums are for double cab trucks or trucks with extra weight in the front such as heavier bumper or winch. And Everyone here does reccomend, for a 3" lift that you do a front diff. drop if 4x4 and also get new UCA's such as TC's (totao chaos)UCA's. The Camburg kit option is good, if your whilling to pay that much.

6. Dec 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    RDAY

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    so if i have an access cab should I go with light or medium? and whats a front diff drop?

7. Dec 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Access cabs can use the 884 coils. The diff drop is really just a couple of 1" spacers that drop the front arms of the front differential down an inch, decreasing the angle of your CV joints.

What's your budget? Why are you lifting - looks, off road performance? This will make a difference in choosing an appropriate lift...

8. Dec 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM
    RDAY

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    looks i will be doing very little if any off roading

9. Dec 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    How much are you looking to spend? As others have said, I would stay away from spacer lifts. The front coils and rear AAL is a good lift. However, to get a better ride, you'll need to replace the front shocks at the same time you replace the coil. And to correct alignment issues, you'll need to replace your upper control arms too.

So, just depends on how much you're willing to invest.

10. Dec 20, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, what he said... lol.

11. Dec 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    RDAY

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    longhorn how do u like the BFG M/T 285/75/16 KM2s. r they good in the snow they look sick. Also if u could go back and change anything on building ur lift would u? How much do u have invested in just all the parts for the lift?
    Thanks

12. Dec 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I love the tires! They are quieter than my KMs in college, but still whine "just enough"... :) So far, they have worked just fine in the snow. Went and played in a parking lot last night - I slid around when I wanted to, but didn't when I didn't. Even crawled over a snow drift. Got high centered and 2WD wouldn't get me out, but 4wd did. So, apparently they have no problem gripping the snow... :)

So far, I don't think I would change anything about the lift (keep in mind, I still haven't lifted the rear). The only thing that I would consider changing would be aftermarket rims instead of stock rims and spacers - but that's just a consideration. I like still having the stock rims.

On the lift components, if I had it to do over, I would just buy the coilover complete from ToyTec. I bought all the parts separate (identical parts) thinking I was going to save a ton of money - that wasn't the case. I came out just a bit over the complete coilover price...

Here's my post on how much the lift cost:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...g-lift-install-price-thread-2.html#post230005

All in all, I'm happy with it all! :D

13. Dec 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    RDAY

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    what exactly do the ucas do why do they need to be replaced?

if I have the offroad package does that make any diff or should I still replace the shocks?

what r shock extenders needed for?

14. Dec 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    The UCAs will give you enough caster to correct the alignment from the 3" lift. The stock UCAs just won't adjust far enough. You can get them close, just not right.

Depending on what lift you get, you CAN use your stock shocks, it's just recommended that you replace them to improve your ride.

The 5100s I have for the rear work for 0-2" of lift. I bought a 2" AAL for the rear, but I have the rear TSB springs and that gave me almost an inch of lift. So, I bought them just in case I needed them. I'd rather have them when I'm putting on the shocks and not need them than not have them and I do...

I haven't put the AAL in because I'm afraid it's gonna raise the rear higher than I want, but I'm gonna try it anyway. I can always take it out... :)

Products Discussed in

To Top