1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30K Service, manual trans/diff - Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Drogers, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Drogers

Drogers [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Sayville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Reg Cab 4X4 5sp manual
    Leer 100XR Topper, Re-wired interior dome light, Shaved front mud flaps, Rebadged flat black, Avid offroad light/bull bar, Yellow OEM Fog Light Mod, 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, stock 16 steelies painted flat black, K&N air filter
    Hi All,

I'm about to perform my 30K service on my 2.7L 4X4 and have a few questions and need advice:

1) Are you using the same gear oil for your differentials, and manual transmission?

2) Any good manual transmission "how to" threads? I know it's pretty straight forward but I always feel more comfortable when I see a detailed thread.

3) The LSD additive only goes in the rear diff?

4) The dealer originally used synthetic in my manual trans and diff so I'm assuming I should stick with synthetic gear oil.

Thanks for your guys help. I want to continue my streak with only using "my hands" on my truck (other than tires and inspection of course).

2. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
  3. Apr 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    A lot of the new gear oil comes with the LSD additive. If it already comes with the additive and you add more then your LSD may not work properly. It wont hurt anyting but it will slip more than it should.
    I also think the manual states to use 80w-90 but it is harder to come-by. 75W-90 will be fine.
    Another issue that may present itself is clunky shifting if you use a LS gear oil in your tranny becasue the syncros will not work properly with the friction modifiers. Some people have issues others dont.

4. Apr 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Fluid levels should be verified in your owners manual, here is what is stated for my V-6 6MT w/ E-Locker. I have used Redline for my drive-train since 2003...in a bunch of different rigs. I like their oil's. What you use is your call, just be aware if you don't use "Toyota" fluids you might have a tough time getting your power train warrantied. As for how to's...since your doing some DIY work get into the search feature. There are some really good write ups with pics to help you thru the process.

DIY 30k

F diff - 1.59 qt 75w-85 gl-5
    R diff w/ e-locker - 3.12
    t/c - 1.1 qt 75w-90 gl-4 or gl-5
    6MT trans - 1.9 qt 75w-90 gl-4

Transmission Fluid I like: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
    Ran MT-90 in my Evo RS, and Lotus...it's really good stuff in my opinion, especially when dealing with notchy shifting.

Transfer Case: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

So diffs....well on my rear diff I will use stock fluid until I re-gear. Why? Reported failures of e-locker diffs...so I have a leg to stand on when/if it does fail.

Front diff: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=40&pcid=4

5. Apr 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Drogers

Drogers [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Sayville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Reg Cab 4X4 5sp manual
    Leer 100XR Topper, Re-wired interior dome light, Shaved front mud flaps, Rebadged flat black, Avid offroad light/bull bar, Yellow OEM Fog Light Mod, 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, stock 16 steelies painted flat black, K&N air filter
    Thank you for all of your input thus far. Much appreciated. Yeah I agree that the search feature is great. I guess I need to be a little more patient while searching. I don't always find the info that I'm looking for right away. Need to work with key words better.

-D

6. Apr 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    No you just have to pilfer thru the bs threads.

Products Discussed in

To Top