Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My little trip.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
My little trip.

Well it was my first time towing a trailer. It was just a small one but here goes.

It was a 269 mile trip door to door. I rented a uhaul 5x8 trailer.
I had my bed and a few other things in the trailer.

In the bed of the truck I only had the stock BFG rugged trail tires and my brother in law's mower.

Normally this 269 mile trip only takes up just a little bit over 3/4 tank going 70 mph almost all the way.
Well with the trailer I got up to 248 miles and the low fuel light turned on.

So I pull into this gas station off the high way, you only have to go about a half a mile away from the highway. Its just that this area was very secluded, nothing but woods around and darkness. Its midnight. The store is closed. So the credit card is my only option. So I swipe it at the pump, it reads "go see clerk", but the store is closed. F*&$

Then I remembered the fuel container in the bed of the truck. It was only half full as I had used it earlier in the day to fill up the lawn mower, but it has no hose so I can't pour gasoline directly into the fuel tank. So I empty a gatorade bottle, fill it and empty it four times into the tank.

So after pouring the WHOLE HALF GALLON it gives me just enough fuel to drive the 5 miles to the next gas station (it was open). So I try to use my card again but it takes a dump on me. I have no cash. Then I remember that earlier that day I had rounded up all my loose change and put it into coin rolls. It totalled to $34. So I go into the store and hand the cashier about 3 pounds of rolled coins, "do you take rolls of coins?" pleas say yes please say yes.....she said yes.

After filling her up, I drive the last 20 miles with out a problem and stop at a good ol burger joint. Whataburger.

That was a fun little trip! Normally this trip takes about 4 hours going the speed limit the entire way, but going 10 miles below almost all the way coupled with a piss stop and the time spent f**** around with the gasoline container it took about 6 hours. Atleast I didn't get a flat!!!

Have you guys had any better or worse trips?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
You probably could've made the extra 5 miles to the next station without the extra half gallon.

Also, change is legal currency, I don't see why anybody wouldn't accept it!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah this is a huge reason my buddy got rid of his Taco, it gets shit for gas milage when towing a trailer or anything with some weight.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
You probably could've made the extra 5 miles to the next station without the extra half gallon.

Also, change is legal currency, I don't see why anybody wouldn't accept it!

haha I knew some one would say that I could have made it. Well it was all dark high way, so I sure as hell wasn't gonna leave it there, plust there's lots of hills in that area, so more fuel consumption going uphill towing trailer. Didn't wanna risk it.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0787 View Post
haha I knew some one would say that I could have made it. Well it was all dark high way, so I sure as hell wasn't gonna leave it there, plust there's lots of hills in that area, so more fuel consumption going uphill towing trailer. Didn't wanna risk it.

Ah, hills are a killer.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 07 prerunner dc, i kept it below 70mph from riverside ca to vegas. I got 27 mpg. I also was at my dads in kemmerer wy, driving back i had my quad in the bed and another on a 4x8 harbor freight trailer. coming over the hills by scipio, cedar and st george, i managed a whole 12.4mpg. Also, I tried to run out of gas one day so when the dummy light came on i reset my trip, i went 46 miles and made it to a gas station. I would like to say that there is roughly 3 gallons of fuel left in the tank once the light comes on. 18mpg x 3 = 54 miles.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #7

I think the light comes on when there are 5 gallons left (well, at least mine does...).
Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I think the light comes on when there are 5 gallons left (well, at least mine does...).
Yeah I'm not sure...I just know it's a 21 gallon tank and once the dummy light comes on I fill up with 17.3 gallons, 3.7.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
when my light comes on, i usually can top off 19 gallons, but that is about to the brim...
Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
on, i usually can top off 19 gallons, but that is about to the brim...

FIlling it to the brim is the only way to go! Once I went to far and got gasoline on my pants and shoes.....didn't smell to good inside my truck for a while
Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
yea when the light comes on you have about 3 gallons left in tank
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Sounded like fun, it'll be a good story to tell in a few years.

What is Whataburger???
Old 07-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
glad you made it safetly...

when traveling, anytime I get below half a tank, I start looking for a gas station.... don't want to happen to me what happened to you (with the gas station being closed)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
It's only heaven on earth
im still lost as a ball in high grass
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
James3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
James3492's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to James3492 Send a message via Skype™ to James3492
Sounds funn
Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
im still lost as a ball in high grass
It's a hamburger joint... supposed to be pretty good never eaten there
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to be a know it all but when I get down to a 1/4 tank, I stop and fill her up. Always, always.
Don't even know if I have a yellow fuel warning light on my 2002 which I bought new in 2001.
Also I have cash money hidden in my truck.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
It's a hamburger joint... supposed to be pretty good never eaten there
Yeah never heard of it either
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
Well I usually never let it go below a quarter tank but this time my dumb ass thought I would make it. Like many of you have said, "i could have made it".

Well there's always next time . haha jk, never again.

Hey if any of you guys ever stop or go through TX and you happen to drive by a Whataburger I would recomment it. I'm sure many others who have tried it would agree that its a pretty good place.

Hell I heard of a guy in the military who used to have burgers from this place shipped to him on the same day, by air freight from TX to CA. it would cost a pretty penny, but loves it that much.

I used to crave it when I was in Japan.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Hurray for Zoidberg!
tacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud oftacoman_KC has much to be proud of

Name: John Zoidberg
tacoman_KC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting the pictures. I will be towing that same trailer from northern MN to Phoenix in about a month. One question, did you drive in D or 4?