Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer Wiring Harness

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
cormudgen is on a distinguished road
cormudgen's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Wiring Harness

Hello,

I have an 08 access cab pre runner that didn't come with the tow package. I purchased a hitch and wiring harness from Uhaul for a total of $150 and have installed the hitch.

The wiring harness is not a plug and play and has 5 wires.

White-ground to chasis

Green-Left turn signal
Red-stoplight
Yellow-Left turn signal
brown-tailight

I am wondeing where is the best place to splice the Green, Red, Yellow, and Brown and if anyone knows the color of the wires that they need to be spliced into. I have located wiring that is right near the spare tire that runs to both tailights as well as the licesne plate lights. This seems like the easiest place to splice into.

Does anyone have a mapping of the colors for those 4 listed?

Thanks ahead for all help.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Behind the tail lights is the best place to make the splices, there is less chance for the elements to corrode them. Remove taillights using a 10mm socket and route wires up thrue the bottom.

Wires - after pulling the taillights it will become obvious what wires to use. for instance the left turn signal will have two wires running to the top bulb white being the ground and the other being the turn signal wire (same for passenger). for the brake and parking lamps, the brake light wire is the green with red trace and the parking is the green wire running to the center bulb.

This is from memory although I believe it is accurate.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
keep in mind that you do not have the tow package and your towing capacity is probably going to be lower than the stock towing package. You're missing out on a different alternator, battery, transmission cooler, and an oil cooler.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
I'm not concerned about towing with out the package as I won't be pulling much weigh, and will rarely be doing so.

I wanted to splice in under the truck as it seemd it would be pain to go from both extreme sides of the truck to the center. Also it seems it will be harder to run the wires with a "clean" look routing them out of the tail lights.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy this.

The hoppy connector makes it plug and play simple, and costs less than 50 bucks. You'll have no splices under the truck or behind the tail lights to corrode and short out, and you'll be done in less than 10 minutes. Then go return the harness to u-haul for a refund.

This and much more is covered in the tacoma towing bible which is stickied at the top of the towing section.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
trust me i would love too.

however, i waited to long and will be making a move (14 hour drive) before that part would come in.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
well i quit being lazy and went out there with a test light

for future reference

BLUE/YELLOW = Left turn
BLUE/BLACK = Right turn
BLUE (SOLID) = Brake
Green = Tail lights

I tied into all but the left turn right before where they all meet to go to the front in one wire loom. The left turn I did just up higher near the light, b/c I didn't realize I hadn't gone to the point where they all meet yet. There are actually three solid greens at this point, you will need to follow the one that goes to the liscense plate lights to make sure you get the "constant light one".

Hope this helps someone down the road.