1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have the towing package?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SWTACOMA, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    I am currently out of the country and cannot step outside to my truck and confirm whether or not I have the factory installed tow package. After many hours of reading these threads i'm still not sure. Here is what I do know. I have a 2005 SR5 Tacom DBL Cab 4WD. I bought the truck new in 2005. I do have the pigtail in the glove box that has been mentioned to come with the tow package for brake controllers. I have a factory installed 7 round Pin trailer plug mounted to the left of my reciever hitch. I do not know whether it is a CL III or CL IV hitch.

I recently purchased a 2010 Forest River Wildwood Mini Lite 2502S TT and may have jumped the gun on it. I had it delivered to my house but got to reading about towing wieghts and etc with the Tacoma. The DRY weight of the TT is 3,885lbs. I have also taken into consideration the added weight of water, batteries, Gas, gear, etc....With the Tow Pachage I feel that I will have no issues towing this trailer.

Without being able to check for the larger alternator, Trans Cooler, Oil Cooler, Fuses, and the voltage of the trailer plug, would the information provided be enough to determine whether or not I have the factory tow package?

THANKS!
    Paul

trailer 002.jpg
    Trailer.jpg

2. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    cmannie

cmannie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mannie
    ST LOUIS
    Vehicle:
    NONE YET!!
    You should be able to get Your VIN Number,and email or call a Toyota dealer.
    I'd think they could pull it up on the Toyota system for You.

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I have an SR5 as well- it does not come standard with the tow package.

I do have a class 3 hitch receiver and 7 pin harness that were added aftermarket.

With a class 3 hitch, your rig should be able to tow 5000 lbs.

Class 4 hitch that comes with towing package supposedly requires that you remove the truck bed to access some of the bolts. I thought about getting one from a wrecker but then decided I never really want to tow more than 5000 lbs anyway.

Factory Tow Package:
    Class 4 hitch and harness
    upgraded alternator (130 Amp) and heavier battery
    tranny and oil cooler

If you are going to tow that trailer any distance or up hills, you should think about adding a tranny cooler. Only costs about $75 bucks aftermarket- but you also might want to get your tranny flushed at the same time- dealer price varies.

4. Sep 8, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    Gary,
    Are you saying the SR5'S "DO NOT" come with a factory installed tow package?

The Hitch and 7 pin harness that is on my truck is not aftermarket and came from the factory already installed! This is where i'm confused.

5. Sep 8, 2010 at 1:42 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    2009 SR5 does not come with it.

I don't know if it was available as an option on 2005's.

The 7 pin plug in your pic looks like the stock plug- I had one on my 2007 TRD.

The easiest way to check would be to see if you have the coolers installed. The oil cooler looks like a small metal cylinder- a little bigger than a tuna fish can and sits right underneath the oil filter.
    The tranny cooler should be visible behind the grille(a small black radiator 5"x9" approx) just above the bumper on the driver's side.

Sorry- I know you can't go look at your truck now. I'll see if I can find out more.

6. Sep 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    Thanks Gary!
    At this point I may need to find out if the 05's came with tow packages or not. Maybe someone will chime and put some more knowledge on this subject.

Heres the plug on my trailer. As you mentioned that my plug is the stock plug, I do not know the difference between a stock 7 pin round plug and the tow package 7 pin round plug other than the the Tacomas without a factory installed tow package come with 4 pin flat plugs. The male plug on the trailer matches the female plug on the truck.

trailer 005.jpg

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    I looked online and saw at least 2 2005 SR5's listed for sale with towing package. Maybe it was available as an option then?

The 7 pin plug also looks similar on several aftermarket bumpers- the one on my Curt towing receiver looks almost the same.

One other thing I just thought of- Not sure if early SR5 models came stock with the Bilstein suspension package. If that is the case or if you have the older 3 leaf spring package it might be difficult to tow a heavy trailer. Since you are a new member, I will tell you to check some of the threads on rear spring TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) if you are not already aware of this issue.

Hopefully somebody who owns your model can add more info.

8. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    Just found this online. You are correct the 05 SR5'S did come with a towing package as an option.

Attached Files:

9. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    If this helps I found this 2005 SR5 with a tow package. My reciever hitch is identical to this one. I do not know if there is a difference in looks with a factory installed CLIII or CLIV hitch.

reciever hitch.jpg

10. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    SWTACOMA

SWTACOMA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 DBL CAB 4WD
    As far as the TSB goes, I am tracking that. I have already order and AAL and Firestone Airbags for the additional help. I am past my warrant. Well the truck is 5 years old with only 42,000 miles on it. Stay gone to much to drive it alot.

11. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:29 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    I just found an online brochure for 2005. The towing package was available on some of the SR5 packages then. There were at least 6 different models of SR5 trim. 2 of them came with tow packages.

Does not look like the heavier suspension was available- not sure if that affects your towing capacity. Likely Toyota would have included heavier springs with the Towing package if required.

12. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Ha- you beat me to it!! Well, I would say you likely do have it then, but not possible to be 100 percent sure without looking at the truck.

13. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have the towing package and I got the same springs as everyone else. I had the dealer install the TSB springs after I bought the truck.

Heavier springs DO NOT increase the towing capacity.

The towing package has Class IV hitch = 6500lbs towing capacity.

Also, if you look at the fan - you'll see PINK. I'm not exactly sure why....but I'm pretty sure the trucks with the towing package have pink at the base of the fans (on the engine).

14. Dec 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    Mariotaco

Mariotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 4x4
    SR5s can have the tow package if it was ordered but it's not standard.

Products Discussed in

To Top