Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trouble with T-connector trailer lights.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
swela is on a distinguished road
swela's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble with T-connector trailer lights.

Hi, I hooked up 3 different T-connectors on my 1998 Tacoma. Everything works fine on the trailer lights until I turn on the headlights. Then the taillights are so bright that you can't see the brake or turn signals working. If I put my face right up to the lights I can see them working faintly. I've tried different trailer lights with the same result. All the trailer lights work fine on my other Chev. pickup. Any ideas? Thanks, Swela
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swela View Post
Hi, I hooked up 3 different T-connectors on my 1998 Tacoma. Everything works fine on the trailer lights until I turn on the headlights. Then the taillights are so bright that you can't see the brake or turn signals working. If I put my face right up to the lights I can see them working faintly. I've tried different trailer lights with the same result. All the trailer lights work fine on my other Chev. pickup. Any ideas? Thanks, Swela
Sounds like you may have a, short to ground on the truck headlight wiring. More than likely at the connector or close to it..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
swela is on a distinguished road
swela's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, thanks for replying. It's kind of frustrating. The vehicle lights,taillights,brake and turn signals work fine with or with out the T-connector or the trailer lights hooked up. It's only the trailer lights that are affected. Puzzled, Swela
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swela View Post
Hi, thanks for replying. It's kind of frustrating. The vehicle lights,taillights,brake and turn signals work fine with or with out the T-connector or the trailer lights hooked up. It's only the trailer lights that are affected. Puzzled, Swela
To see if you have a short to ground, take your volt meter and put the (+) pos lead on the ground connector at the T-connect and the (-) neg lead to the frame. Now turn on the head lights. If you get a voltage reading like 9-12v then you have a short to ground in the headlight wiring either somewhere on the truck or more than likely at the T-connector. Let me know what you find out.

Paul