Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Circuit Breaker (Brake Controller)

Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Tacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to behold

Tacoma_SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Circuit Breaker (Brake Controller)

Hi there,

This is probably a stupid question but since I am planning on installing a break controller on my truck, I bought a circuit breaker for it but it doesn't have any mounting holes on it, so I'm assuming this doesn't have to be grounded correct? This would be the circuit breaker going to the battery.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I thought all break controllers hook up to the OBA II port. Why would you need a circuit breaker?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Tacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to beholdTacoma_SR5 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
You shouldn't need a "ground" on a circuit breaker. If you were to disassemble the thing, you would most likely find a bi-metallic strip, which will FLEX and cause the circuit to break when the current exceeds a set amount. When the current drops due to the circuit being disconnected, the strip will straighten back out and either reset the breaker or require you to push the "reset" button, depending on the type of breaker you have.

Note that even circuit breakers in your home electric panel aren't grounded, only GFI or arc-fault breakers, which are for preventing you from being killed by a hair dryer falling into the sink (GFI) or setting your house on fire (arc-fault).
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I thought all break controllers hook up to the OBA II port. Why would you need a circuit breaker?
I have the plug-in port for it but the truck didn't come with the towing package so I'm assuming that even if use the plug-in, it would provide me with power correct? I know that I will need to tap-in the blue wire for the brake control though.