1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How heavy is too dangerous without brakes

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Digger2, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Digger2

Digger2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD
    ARB Deluxe bumper, Full OME HD lift kit with Dakars. Frame welded Crew Fab DOM rock rails,Custom full skid plates, tow points,Cab mount chop, 265/70R17 Duratracs, weather tech mats.Coming soon Camburg BJ UCA's, Warn ??? winch
    Hello all, I am just wondering how heavy of a utility trailer loaded with 2 quads and gear can I pull with my '08 Tacoma TRD DC without electric brakes?? The trailer itself weight is like 1000lbs and each quad is around 700lbs plus gear say another 200-400lbs. So all in total 2800lbs total weight be hind the Taco. Is this to much?? I am considering buying electric brake kit for my trailer as it has the brackets on the axle to support brakes. What do you guys think? Do I really need brakes for this much weight, cost is going to be around $400 to set everything up. Thanks.....

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    offroad05taco

offroad05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Greenville NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Single Chamber Mello-Tone Catback. 3" toytec Suspension lift. 285-75-16 BFG KM2's Drop in K&N. Blacked out badges.
    You definatly do not need to worry about that, it will pull it fine.

3. Mar 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Brakes would make it more comfortable, especially if you tow through mountains. With that kind of weight, I wouldn't want to make a habit of towing without brakes, it'll just chew up the truck brakes and make for a some much longer stopping distances.

4. Mar 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    offroad05taco

offroad05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Greenville NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Single Chamber Mello-Tone Catback. 3" toytec Suspension lift. 285-75-16 BFG KM2's Drop in K&N. Blacked out badges.
    Yea sorry I'm in the flatlands of NC. I know it's alot different with mountains.

5. Mar 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    Digger2

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD
    ARB Deluxe bumper, Full OME HD lift kit with Dakars. Frame welded Crew Fab DOM rock rails,Custom full skid plates, tow points,Cab mount chop, 265/70R17 Duratracs, weather tech mats.Coming soon Camburg BJ UCA's, Warn ??? winch
    No worries about mountains here in Ontario, but I know what your sayin'. I just felt the trucks brakes seemed a little on the weak side when stopping with this load and didn't know if I was doing something a little dangerous or not. I do pull this load 10-15 times a year about 300 miles each way, so I didn't know if I should be putting brakes on this trailer or not. This is why I come to TW to get my answers. Thanks to all who have posted....

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    What is the max capacity of the trailer, the rule of thumb I have heard in the past was < 3000lb no need for trailer brakes. How fast you drive, how closely you follow, type of terrain (hills), distance all factor in as well.

I think you would be fine @ 2800lbs w/o trailer brakes but a little heavier throw in a few hills & I would feel better with that extra security of trailer brakes, even if you do everything right it only takes one idiot to pull out in front of you to ruin your trip.

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    sailreno

sailreno New Member

Member:
    The trailer brake law is different from state to state, so you should consult with a local RV/Trailer dealer for your states requirements. California is the strictest with a 1500 # requirement for electric brakes, but they are not alone.

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:23 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I towed a 16ft flat bed with 3 quads (400lbs each) plus a little extra in the bed, similar weight to you, without trailer brakes and it handled just fine even in the hills.
    But I don't do it regularly and it was only about 200 miles round trip, if I did it more often I'd consider adding trailer brakes just to keep down the wear on the truck.

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Digger2

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD
    Thanks again to all for your input on this topic, it's appreciated.:cheers:

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    You'll be fine, but your emergency stopping distances will greatly increase. Don't follow too close. :)

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    That's heavy enough that I'd prefer to tow it with brakes, but would not cancel my trip if I did not have them.

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Just keep a distance and don't drive fast. I have towed cars on my buddy's trailer with my tacoma on multiple occasions (~4500 lbs) without trailer brakes (my truck isn't wired for them.) I always keep a safe distance when I'm towing a trailer regardless of its size.

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I have the automatic also. While towing a 16' loaded up fishing boat down a pretty steep mountain road (2'500 foot elevation gain) I just just take advantage of the engine braking and downshift once in a while instead of constantly useing the brakes...works fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top