Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing with the 4cyl 5 speed

Old 05-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Epic boat anchor! I LOLed. But the question begs to be asked. Who owns a Tacoma and has need for a boat anchor of this sorts? Not to mention the chain is almost too perfectly wrapped around the shaft, the shadows on the links are wrong, and you have decided not to tie down such an item at all.

To quote Joe from Family Guy when watching Peter crash the Petercopter in his front yard: "How do you afford all this stuff?!?!"
Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I see what is going on. The anchor chain is still attached to the ship. Did a cruise ship loose its engines again and they had you tow it in?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
Epic boat anchor! I LOLed. But the question begs to be asked. Who owns a Tacoma and has need for a boat anchor of this sorts? Not to mention the chain is almost too perfectly wrapped around the shaft, the shadows on the links are wrong, and you have decided not to tie down such an item at all.

To quote Joe from Family Guy when watching Peter crash the Petercopter in his front yard: "How do you afford all this stuff?!?!"
dont need ties when u can only do 5mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I see what is going on. The anchor chain is still attached to the ship. Did a cruise ship loose its engines again and they had you tow it in?
yes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The chain is attached to the bar of the anchor and is wrapped around the bar. If that anchor was attached, the chain would not hang down, but up instead.
Around five or six of those links would exceed our bed capacities.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #25
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Boat will stop pulling you in once its in the water and buoyancy equals gravity.
You haven't watched an idiot launch, have you?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #26
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=dhk;3191116]Not at all surprising.

In fact, the 2TR 4x4 MT has the lowest first gear final drive ratio of any Tacoma configuration available, making it better able to get a heavy load rolling than any other configuration, including the V6's.

That's bullshit.No replacement for displacement.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
Rod in Forfar is on a distinguished road
Name: Rod
Rod in Forfar's Tacoma Gallery
"Put it in 4 low."

In 4 low the small Toyotas punch way above their weight at low-speed towing. With low range there is no reason, ever, to ride the clutch for more torque.

BTW: I've also discovered that my 2002 Tacoma 2.7 4X4 planes through deep snow pretty well in 4th gear, low range, at about 4000 rpm. All you need is a safe place to stop at the other end, and no corners.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
Weight

I'd be very surprised if his truck was overloaded with that rig. The aluminum trailer looks lighter than my son's aluminum car hauler which weighs 845 lb. Let's call it 750 lb. How about 400 for the outboard? 1200 for the hull. 150 for fuel. 2500 pounds. Air inside the boat doesn't weigh anything. It would be a chore to get it above 50 mph in 4th gear, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlackTaco6 View Post
So just to update anyone that was curious. My buddy successfully towed his boat gear and trailer with no issues at all. Like was stated before he had an AC 4cyl 4x4 5 speed. Total with boat, trailer, gear, with gas the weight was coming in roughly around 5500lbs. Towed to the gas station (about 2 miles) then to the boat launch (another 2 miles) and then back home again. Towed it out at dead low tide on a steep ramp that was covered in sea growth because of low tide. Put it in 4 low. Chalked the wheels so he wouldnt have to catch it rolling back and pulled rite up the ramp with no issue at all and no burning out the clutch. Just figured id pass the info along in case anyone was wondering what can be done. Below is a pic of the boat being towed. 21' parker
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Weight: oops

Looked it up. 2750 pounds makes this a very sturdy, salt-water boat. 400 for the engine and 700 for the trailer. I'd haul it but forget the fill-ups at the service station. Too much weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod in Forfar View Post
I'd be very surprised if his truck was overloaded with that rig. The aluminum trailer looks lighter than my son's aluminum car hauler which weighs 845 lb. Let's call it 750 lb. How about 400 for the outboard? 1200 for the hull. 150 for fuel. 2500 pounds. Air inside the boat doesn't weigh anything. It would be a chore to get it above 50 mph in 4th gear, though.