Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

long distance towing

Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
DSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kerri
DSMissed's Tacoma Gallery
long distance towing

Here's the thing. I'm planning on taking a trip this summer to TX, and my mom is letting me have here Jeep Wrangler, so I'd probably be towing that back with me, just on a car dolly for less weight.

So, I'm a little worried about towing a 3500lb vehicle for 1400 miles with the Tacoma. I do have an 03 Ford 1 ton diesel I could use (no 6.0 bashing please), but its just a single cab clunky work truck. So I would have to sacrifice ride quality by taking it, as well as paying the extra cost of diesel, even though mileage for the ford and tacoma are about the same.

So. Do the right thing and use the bigger truck to do the job? Or should I not give up my quality of the ride and just make the Tacoma pay its dues?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMissed View Post
Here's the thing. I'm planning on taking a trip this summer to TX, and my mom is letting me have here Jeep Wrangler, so I'd probably be towing that back with me, just on a car dolly for less weight.

So, I'm a little worried about towing a 3500lb vehicle for 1400 miles with the Tacoma. I do have an 03 Ford 1 ton diesel I could use (no 6.0 bashing please), but its just a single cab clunky work truck. So I would have to sacrifice ride quality by taking it, as well as paying the extra cost of diesel, even though mileage for the ford and tacoma are about the same.

So. Do the right thing and use the bigger truck to do the job? Or should I not give up my quality of the ride and just make the Tacoma pay its dues?
I'm kind of in the same situation. Next week I will be towing my boat which is about 4500lbs plus gear, and 4 people 8 hours south to Lake Norman NC. I'm a little nervouse as well but I think our Tacoma's can handle it. The 4.0 has decent power for towing. Just take it easy and give yourself plent of stopping distance and money for gas. Your MPG will drop to about 10-12.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I would bet the Ford diesel would get better mileage towing. I'd look into a flat bed though, it's not recommended to tow a 4wd vehicle with the front tires up and the back tires on the ground spinning (although with the transfer case in neutral I doubt it'd cause any damage, it's just not recommended).
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
DSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to behold
I planned on towing it backwards, so the front wheels were on the ground because then it shouldn't matter, should it?

The diesel would get better mpg towing, and be able to tow it faster up hills and stuff. But diesel is also about 50 cents more per gallon, so I don't know if I would end up saving money or not.

Holy crap, MAXTacoma, just looked at your sig pic, that boat makes your taco look pretty small!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I planned on towing it backwards, so the front wheels were on the ground because then it shouldn't matter, should it?

The diesel would get better mpg towing, and be able to tow it faster up hills and stuff. But diesel is also about 50 cents more per gallon, so I don't know if I would end up saving money or not.

Holy crap, MAXTacoma, just looked at your sig pic, that boat makes your taco look pretty small!
Whether the front wheels are on the ground or the back wheels, it does not matter, the issue is in the transfer case. The Jeeps have a "neutral" setting for the transfer case I believe so that should keep things spinning freely so it doesn't matter which set of wheels is on the ground. I was just giving you a heads up because it's still not technically recommended to tow a 4x4 that way. Again, I doubt you'd do any damage at all, just throwing it out there.

You're right about the fuel cost, you'd probably end up breaking even on total overall cost but the diesel will tow much easier than the Tacoma so why beat on the smaller truck when you have access to the bigger truck that won't even be phased by the weight? Your Tacoma will do it just fine, the diesel will make short work of it.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine towing the jeep with the Tacoma. I tow regularly a 4100 lb toy hauler and when loaded it probably weighs in at about 5200 lbs. The weight itself isn't that big a factor but the height and drag it causes makes the mpgs drop. But you towing that jeep should give you about 10-11 mpg. Oh, I did tow that travel trailer about 1200 miles from Mesa, AZ to Houston, TX. I think you'll be fine, but give yourself more time for braking, since, I guess you won't have anyway to slow down dolly or jeep independently.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes she is a pretty good size, 20.5 ft, but is ton of fun The Tacoma really handles it pretty well. Just wish I had some bigger mirrors as I can only see the sides. Oh yeah and more power wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Don't rent a tow dolly for the jeep. Just go to harbor freight and get a tow bar, and flat tow the jeep. I do this my brother's wrangler. My truck with 33's tows it just fine. I can keep 75mph up a 8%+ grade hill with a head wind (I don't recommend doing that though). Just remember: put the transfer case in neutral, tranny in any gear from 2-4 (if a manual). I says all of this in the owners manual of the Heep.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
I own a dolly, but I didn't think about the tow bar... thats a good idea. Don't you have to drill holes or something with a tow bar though?

How come you would want to tow it in gear? Just curious, that doesn't sound right!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I own a dolly, but I didn't think about the tow bar... thats a good idea. Don't you have to drill holes or something with a tow bar though?

How come you would want to tow it in gear? Just curious, that doesn't sound right!
You only need to drill 4 holes in the bumper of the Jeep.

The manual says to tow in gear (but transfers case is in neutral). Its something about keeping it lubricated.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've tow my brother's jeep from SD, CA to Flagstaff, AZ which is about 600 miles.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I flat towed a 68 dodge pickup from East Texas to NE Tennessee with a tow bar I found in the barn of the house we bought in texas. I just build an adapter plate and turned the bumper bolts around, plus since it was an automatic, I pulled the driveshaft.

The tow vehicle was a 24' box truck full of household goods...very slow up the hills.

Howard
Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
I've towed cars with my Tacoma before, and I just don't like how it feels going up the hills, I feel like I'm just being so hard on it, lol. I'm torn :l
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
i think you would be fine...just take your time and check evrything (oil, tranny, tire pressure, straps) when you stop for gas. what ever you decide on, be safe and good luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 12' pop up trailer everywhere witj my Gen 1 V6 prerunner in CA...including up I-5 and NEVER had an issue. In 2004 I pulled that trailer, 3 bicycles and a motorcycle 3,000miles across country. Though it was overmax and it worked hard, it proved its name. It's a Tacoma!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
We have towed our trailer around lake superior every year now for 3 years in the fall. Around 4000 km trip (2500 miles) up and down very large hills which is part of the canadian shield ( rocks left over from the ice age). No problems at all. Drive with care and lots of room up front for braking and i can not see you having a problem.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=DSMissed;3093536]I planned on towing it backwards, so the front wheels were on the ground because then it shouldn't matter, should it?

DO NOT TOW IT LIKE THIS! I tried it years ago and the vehicle on the dolly will wander all over the road making it impossible to tow at highway speeds.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
I would just take the Ford, you wont even know the Jeep is back there and you wont put any stress on your Taco.