Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing capabilities of Taco '07

Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
LovinMyTaco07 is on a distinguished road
LovinMyTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Towing capabilities of Taco '07

We just purchased a beautiful 2007 Tacamo Prerunner Double Cap Long Bed (V6, 4X2). I remember the documentation saying that it's maximum towing capacity is 6,500# and a standard capacity of 3,500#.
My wife is used to towing with her 3/4 ton Silverado that we traded in for the Tacoma or her boses F550 dualy goseneck truck.... She says she wouldn't be comfortable pulling more than 3,500# in the Tacoma because it is so much lighter... but from what I understand if the trailer has brakes we should be able to safely pull 6,500 lbs which is about what a 3 horse trailer with 3 horses in it would weigh...
What do you guys say? Any recomendations for a tow hitch?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, the maximum towing capacity for your truck is 5,000 pounds for the V6 4X2. The 6,500 capacity is an option. Unless you bought the option, you know the answer.

Re. tow hitch, you need a Class 3 or Class 4 hitch based on your capacity. The truck may appear lighter; it’s the torque that matters and you have 266 ft. pounds and the electric brakes will assist with the braking. Moreover, you have Electronic Brake-Force Distribution. Don’t fool around with this matter. If you have doubts, speak to the experts such as your dealer or trailer hitch manufacturers since they have scientific date to quantify their claim. If you follow their recommendations and things were to go horribly wrong, your liability will be somewhat limited. You may be risking innocent lives with this experiment including that of your horses. Do the right thing. Eat Steak!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Jesse is on a distinguished road
Jesse's Tacoma Gallery
Themaster, I have a question for you. I just bought an LED light strip for my Tacoma. It has a 4 pin connector on it. I did'nt want to splice into my new truck if at all possible. When I bought my truck with the towing package, it says that it comes with a 7 pin connector with converter. Do you know what this converter is? Any suggestions on how to wire this light strip to the back of my truck. Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jesse,
Who do you think I am? Toyota Canada technical help desk? Come on dude, I milk cows all day, the traditional way. . I don’t even own a Tacoma to check. Someone at TW may have an answer for you. I will check with the guys at Toyota when I get some time. What is this light strip for? Can you post a few pictures of the adapters/connectors so we know what you are dealing with. Remember, sometimes you have to slice and sometimes you have to splice. Eat Steak
Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Truck champion is an unknown quantity at this point

Truck champion's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Truck champion
The 4 pin conector that came in your glove box is for trailer brake control box instalation. Toyota sells a 7 to 4 pin adapter in their parts department that you can use.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
Born to Ride

Hi Truck Champion,

How about some help with this one;
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...67-gauges.html

and this one;
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...black-box.html

Thank you