1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So maybe my thinking is way off...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 0BlackTaco6, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jul 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    0BlackTaco6

0BlackTaco6 [OP] Ive got tiger blood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DC SR5 4x4 6 speed
    Color matched and satoshi grille, hella 500ff behind, bhlm, sockmonkey bedsides, 17" sports 265/70 grabber at2's.
    So maybe my thinking is way off but im a little confused. You have 2 identical trucks. One has a factory tow package. One does not. The one with has a rating of 6500lbs. The one without 3500lbs. I know the tow package consists of a CLASS 4 HITCH(ill explain why thats bold), oil cooler, tranny cooler(for auto), bigger alternator, bigger battery, and brake controller or something. I know the sticker that has the rating cant be changed, so no matter what you put on the non tow package truck the rating legally is still 3500lbs. My thought process is this. My non tow package tacoma: throw the CLASS 4 HITCH on, throw the oil cooler on. No need for tranny cooler cause im manual. And i dont have a need for the bigger electronics. Then my truck will be basically the same equipped truck as the tow package truck and be able to tow 6500lbs. My problem is this. Nowhere can i find a class 4 hitch. The heaviest duty hitch ive found is a 5500lb hitch. Now maybe all the other goodies make the TRUCK capable of 6500lbs but that would still make the hitch 1000lbs overloaded. Where is this mythical class 4 hitch? If maybe i missed it point me in the rite direction but i cant seem to find one anywhere. Like i said maybe my thinking is way off but im new to the towing thing. Ive tried to read everything possible but im still hung up on this. The reason for all the questions is because im looking into a travel trailer that fully loaded weight is 6200lbs, 3800lbs dry. The thread that i made previously about the trailer i may be getting with specs can be found here.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/167381-looking-buying-travel-trailer.html

Any clarification or the need to call me a dumbass for thinking this way is appreciated. But in all seriousness im trying to set my truck up to be capable like the tow package one.

2. Jul 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Quite a few folks on here upgrade their rear bumpers to a high clearance one and ditch the OEM tow hitch for cheap.

3. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I think you're looking for something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/14001.html?feed=npn

Keep in mind the class 3 and class 4 hitches have different load ratings depending on the truck they are on and some other factors.

The class 4 hitch on my truck is the same class 4 hitches on F150's and Dodge Rams, etc., but because of other factors they are able to put more weight on it.

It ends up being the frame, not the hitch, that's gotta hold that trailer up while going down the road, so even tho this hitch I linked is capable of 12,000 lbs with the right setup, the best you'll see is 6500 on our trucks.

Towing is a tricky thing to get into, because you have to learn while you drive, and driving without experience can be nerve wracking as hell. I've towed a good bit of things from utility trailers to travel trailers, and I can say that a travel trailer with a Tacoma is not exactly a cakewalk. Even with the years of experience it isn't a breeze.

Don't let that scare you, once I got the right weight distribution hitch (Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer absolutely recommended), it became much better and more comfortable.

Just for reference, my first Tacoma (2006 DC) came with the dealer-installed tow package, which is just a 3500# rating and included a Class III hitch.

Only the factory-installed give you the 6500#, and include a Class IV hitch. That happens to be the only reason I bought the TRD package on my new Tacoma, because I don't think a non-TRD has factory tow packages.

4. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    0BlackTaco6

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Color matched and satoshi grille, hella 500ff behind, bhlm, sockmonkey bedsides, 17" sports 265/70 grabber at2's.
    so let me see if im following you correctly. The hitch you linked shows 12000lb capability. When you select my year and model tacoma it goes down to 5000lbs. Are you saying its the same exact hitch as the 12000lb one but they just show a different weight for the different truck? So if I ordered that hitch, the hitch would tow 12000lbs still, but because of the truck it will only do the 6500? And thank you very much for a quick response with great info!:cheers:

sorry just re-read your post and noticed the comment about only the factory installed will give the 6500lb rating.

so basically im screwed in towing anything over 5500lbs unless i either find someone getting rid of their factory hitch, or get a new truck with a tow package?

5. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Yes, it's the same hitch. The website is telling you to not go over that limit. That's a CYA thing.

In truth, and there's a long discussion somewhere on the forums regarding this, but there is no way to get that rating, even if you add the parts. Once the factory has "stickered" the truck with it's rating, it can't change even if you go and add all the same exact stuff I have on my truck. Even if you took the equipment off my truck and put it on yours...

Why, gotta be legal reasons. I know it's dumb and it's not what you want to hear.

Adding all the tow package equipment will allow you to tow with you truck just as good as mine will do it, just as long, just as hard. The ONLY difference will be that if you get weighed or get into a wreck and they see you're rated @ 3500# then the shit is gonna hit the fan.

Unfortunately I was faced with the same situation as you were a while ago, and since my 2006 truck was paid off and 5 years old, I sold it and bought a TRD with the factory-tow package. I wanted to upgrade anyways, and this was as good as a reason as any, but I understand it's not very cost effective.

Paul, another member who is pretty active on the forums should likely see and respond to this soon, and he's got a good bit of information on towing as well, so we'll see what he has to add to this subject.

But where you stand right now, you can absolutely get the same equipment with that truck and tow the travel trailer, but I can't legally give you the blessing to do it since you'll be above your legal weight limits, and you really don't want to deal with that in the case of a wreck.

In truth, I love my Tacoma dearly, but in a few years I'll need to get a bigger truck to continue travel trailering, and my wet weight is only 3900# on my trailer. Larger trucks with longer wheelbases and wider stances just pull so much easier and improve control over the trailer.

6. Jul 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    0BlackTaco6

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    right on man. Yea i know about the whole sticker is what it is thing. Kinda an iffy situation to get into. If that hitch is the same exact hitch as the 12000lb one how come they dont rate it at the 6500lbs that the truck can tow instead of the 5000lb? I guess i either take my chances of getting a factory hitch someone is selling and getting weighed or getting in a wreck and being screwed or i go back to the camper place and pass on my dream trailer that i wanted so bad and try and find something 1000lbs lighter. the trailer i wanted is 3800lbs dry and 6200lbs loaded.i would say 95% of the time it wont be loaded with the water which im sure is what makes up most of that different between dry and loaded. But now im probably picking things apart to much and not really being safe or smart about it huh?

7. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    I can honestly say I feel your pain.

I really wanted to tow my father-in-laws 27' foot Jayco instead of buying one for myself, but since it's about 6300 lbs loaded it was one hell of a pull for my truck and considering the truck is only 4000 lbs, I didn't want to have 150% of my truck weight behind me. I think ~4000# is a good size because the truck and trailer are about equals in weight, and the trailer has 4 tires by itself with brakes.

And I don't think you're picking things apart too much, you're just like me when it comes to what you want. I want it, I need to find a way to get it, and I'm annoyed when it's not working out like I want. Hell most of us on here are like that. At least you're taking the time to find out what you can handle and what you can not, so you have done your homework on the matter for safety's sake and for your comfort level in towing.

If I had it all to do over again, I actually really like the HI-LO and TrailManors, because they are pop-up sized when towing, but are hard walled when expanded.

They are a bit more in costs but I know a few people who tow them with Honda Ridgelines, Nissan Frontiers and Tacomas with almost nothing to it. I'd let my wife tow that without much training. Not to mention the aerodynamic profile of something like that lets you still get like 15 MPG, which is insanely good, considering with the TT you're looking at I'd say about 9 MPG would be good for you.

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    0BlackTaco6

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    right on man thanks a lot for your help. i have to start trailer shopping again. The good thing is they are having a big open house party this weekened so who knows what i could fall into.

9. Jul 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Factory tow package is available without a TRD package. Or, at least, it was in 2009.

10. Jul 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    I assumed it was only TRD just because I have yet to find a SR5 w/ the factory tow. Doesn't mean it's not out there, just haven't run across one.

11. Jul 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    2011toy

2011toy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    If you're looking at towing 6000#+ I'd look at afull size truck, maybe diesel.

Products Discussed in

To Top