Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Light Towing

Old 11-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Overheadspec is on a distinguished road
Overheadspec's Tacoma Gallery
Light Towing

Question: I have a 2008 Prerunner V6 Automatic with Receiver Hitch and Wiring from factory. I don't have tranny cooler. Is it acceptable for this setup to tow a jon boat (boat,motor,trailer,equip. approx. 1,000 lbs)? I have read the towing bible thread, but everyone seems to think you need a tranny cooler, but was curious for this light of a load if it was necessary?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
I had the dealership add hitch and wiring; did not get the trans cooler. You still think it would not be a big deal?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
bcmedic will become famous soon enoughbcmedic will become famous soon enough
bcmedic's Tacoma Gallery
should be alright as long as its not too long of a haul up a mountain pass.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Gen 2 V6 without the factory installed tow package is capable of pulling 5000 lbs. If your boat, trailer, motor, fuel, and other such gear comes in at the 1000 pounds that you estimate it at, then the Tacoma will pull it as if it's not even there. Just pay attention to what you transmission is telling you. If you notice it hunting, (jumping in and out of overdrive at cruising speed) then shift out of overdrive and consider installing a trans cooler. (I really don't think you'll have that problem) If you are climbing hills or mountain passes, then by all means shift out of overdrive, untill you are on flat ground again. But realistically with that small of a load you should be fine as you already are.

Regards,
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Thanks for replys. All of my towing will be on only flat ground; No hills or mountains. I have pulled this boat before in overdrive and it never hunts in and out of overdrive. I only do this a few times a year. By estimating 1,000 lbs, this includes all equipment.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure that you'll be fine with that amount of weight. but for just a heads up.....you can get an auxiliary cooler from autozone.......b&m has some, and install it yourself, and they are around $50 or so. not too bad of an install either i dont think. i'll be getting one for my 04 later on....since mine doesnt have one either. anything to help keep the tranny cooler is a pretty good idea. just a heads up tho.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
wow, yeah i hope that this truck would tow 1k lbs anywhere you wanted to go with no problems at all.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheadspec View Post
Question: I have a 2008 Prerunner V6 Automatic with Receiver Hitch and Wiring from factory. I don't have tranny cooler. Is it acceptable for this setup to tow a jon boat (boat,motor,trailer,equip. approx. 1,000 lbs)? I have read the towing bible thread, but everyone seems to think you need a tranny cooler, but was curious for this light of a load if it was necessary?
No question. You can tow 6,500lbs without a tranny cooler.

I tow an 18' heavy ass Ranger Bass boat with a 175hp motor. The trailer is all steel. My 05DC prerunner pulls it fine. I do not have the tranny cooler. It wasn't an available option when I bought my truck. 99,000 miles on my truck & still kickin. I probably tow my boat 15-20 times a year. Longest tow was 700 miles RT. I get 12mpg when towing my boat. A jon boat you shouldn't notice much difference. I towed a jon boat & this boat with an 03 DC 1st gen Tacoma, no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmedic View Post
should be alright as long as its not too long of a haul up a mountain pass.
Hills are not a problem. I've towed mine up steep hills & never have to take it out of OD. My boat with every thing probably weighs around 4,500lbs.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
#1 reason for tranny failures is HEAT. You can't keep an auto tranny too cool. Probably won't even notice 1000 lbs behind you. Coolers are pretty inexpensive so if you decide to tow more weight or you live in a hot climate I'd recommend one...the bigger the better.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
#1 reason for tranny failures is HEAT. You can't keep an auto tranny too cool. Probably won't even notice 1000 lbs behind you. Coolers are pretty inexpensive so if you decide to tow more weight or you live in a hot climate I'd recommend one...the bigger the better.
X2.
I tow my boat and gear (500 lbs. +) without problems.