Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Sway Control?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Sway Control?

What does everyone reccomend for sway control? I'm pulling around 5,000#. Pulling my 2000 toyota SAS. Im pulling it with my 2008 DC.

I know the equalizer is favorited, however $300-500 is too much. Unless I'm not looking at the right one...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07DCSB View Post
Are you looking for sway control or weight distribution? A load like that, if properly loaded, shouldn't sway. If its swaying, its probably loaded too far back on the trailer. I presume that you're pulling it on a trailer rather than a tow-bar? If on a tow-bar, it should just follow perfect.
x2, a flat bed shouldn't sway on you. Sway control is needed more with travel trailers.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2, a flat bed shouldn't sway on you. Sway control is needed more with travel trailers.
I guess this makes sense considering I have no sway . Thought I just didn't pay attention to it. It is on a flatbed, thats correct. So if the sway control is kinda out of the picture.. What about a weight distribution? Neccessary?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would def get a WD hitch
Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I guess this makes sense considering I have no sway . Thought I just didn't pay attention to it. It is on a flatbed, thats correct. So if the sway control is kinda out of the picture.. What about a weight distribution? Neccessary?

That 1st Gen just dwarfs your 2nd Gen! Weight distribution is probably a good idea, I'm sure that load isn't overly light. Hard to tell but that looks like a steel trailer and with a truck being front heavy, I'd imagine the tongue of that trailer is pretty damn heavy. I'm not really up on what's good for w/d hitches so I'm not going to make any recommendations but I have also heard equilizer is pretty damn good.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
This may sound stupid but maybe back it on and the engine would be closer to the center of gravity of the trailer and more over the axels.

But then you may get a sway in the rear.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Max tongue load on the Double Cab with tow pkg is 640 lb. Just visually looking at the trailer, the tongue weight is probably over 1000 lb. 1200 lb tongue weight capacity WD hitches start at $300 on eTrailer.com.

Have you thought about flat towing the 2000 Taco (transfer case in neutral) with one of these:
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-520.html
Expensive but easier I think.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Max tongue load on the Double Cab with tow pkg is 640 lb. Just visually looking at the trailer, the tongue weight is probably over 1000 lb. 1200 lb tongue weight capacity WD hitches start at $300 on eTrailer.com.

Have you thought about flat towing the 2000 Taco (transfer case in neutral) with one of these:
Did the flat towing with my brother's jeep (much lighter than a tacoma) with my tacoma and its not fun. With a trailer you have trailer brake, with out a trailer there are only the truck's (the one towing) brakes and it takes a butt load of distance to stop. So having experience flat towing I do not recomend it with anything above what a jeep wrangler weighs (about 3000 lbs).
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

Yeah and put extra miles on my $1600 tires? No thanks, thats why I BOUGHT a trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That 1st Gen just dwarfs your 2nd Gen! Weight distribution is probably a good idea, I'm sure that load isn't overly light. Hard to tell but that looks like a steel trailer and with a truck being front heavy, I'd imagine the tongue of that trailer is pretty damn heavy. I'm not really up on what's good for w/d hitches so I'm not going to make any recommendations but I have also heard equilizer is pretty damn good.
Total load is #5000 or so. I'm sure the tongue is, but the truck has no problems pulling it at all
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried backing the truck onto the trailer? It might put too much weight behind the trailer's axle but if you back it all the way on it might transfer more weight directly over the trailer's axle while hopefully still leaving enough tongue weight so it tracks well.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

I haven't.. I've played around with the truck, and if I don't have it where its at right now I get a massive shudder/vibration thrugh the truck that makes it almost unbearable to drive. I can try switching it and seeing if it will work.

Also on the vibration i'm not sure if its just due to thewind resistance or the balance of the truck?