1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New TT?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jayr, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    Frankly, I didn't expect to get that answer. That was a nice surprise. I'm just VERY conservative when it comes to things like this. The last freakin thing I want is to lose control of that setup and then kill us or someone else. That could really ruin your day. After 72 years on this planet, one thing I've learned is to listen to my "gut". And, my gut tells me, and you've confirmed it, that if I stay conservative, stay within the numbers and don't take too much shit along, we'll be fine. I just wanted to get a second opinion from someone who knows.

I don't want to carry anything in the bed of the truck, except maybe a cooler and a couple lawn chairs. That Fiberglass Tonneau cover must weigh a pretty good chunk too. It was on the truck when I bought it, and I could take it off if needed, but I sure like it. That was the problem with our Casita that we just sold. There was just NO storage in the trailer and everything had to be crammed into the bed of the truck and even the back seat. I hated it and we just figured if we couldn't do better than that, we'd just stay home. (Here's a picture of that setup) sold it last Friday.
    I just spent a Thousand bucks on new Michelin tires and feel way good about those. So, we'll see what happens here. We're still in the looking but that Rig is at the top of the list. BTW, that is probably the hitch I'll use. Or, at least one as good, or better.

Again, thanks for you help.

EKW

Sweet-1.jpg

2. Jan 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    RightYouAreKen

RightYouAreKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    That Lance 1685 is a good looking trailer. Our local rv rental place recommended it to me as a good match to the Tacoma when I inquired about renting a tt. We have it reserved for a trip in March...can't wait!

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Woodstocktaco

Woodstocktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 ORDC 4X4
    3" OME lift, 885 coils, Dakar rears, diff drop
    Keith,
    That's a really nice looking small TT. Looks like a modern version of my Trail Cruiser (see my pics in the "Show us what you tow" thread). Smaller Single axle TTs really suffer in the storage capacity & going to a two axle setup (with electric brakes) will improve handling, braking and give you more trailer loading storage capacity with a minimal overall weight penalty. I think with a proper hitch, brake controller and prudent driving habits while towing you will feel very confident with this TT behind your Tacoma. If you plan to tow longer distances and want to give your trucks rear suspension a little help - I'd suggest an OME Dakar rear leaf kit. It will beef up the rear end significantly, improve the ride and braking while towing the trailer and won't adversely affect unloaded ride quality much. Mine has a full OME 3"lift and handles my TT very well.
    Have fun with the new TT!

4. Jan 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    I love this forum for reasons just like this. I've been thinking about what I can do to stop it from bottoming out, even with the Casita. So, I'll be looking into this Kit. Thanks again for the tip.

Regards,

EKW

5. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB

here is a link to another guy i saw pulling a long trailer saying he had no problems with it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/27460-show-us-what-you-tow-6.html#post592823

I ordered my new TT and should be here at the end of march. here are some specs:

Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve
    ST27BH
    5400 Dry
    1990 Carry Cap
    720 Hitch Wt
    31'2" Overall Lenght
    10'6 Tall
    40 Gallon for Black, Fresh and Grey

When i talked to the dealer they said I am well within my limits for towing. Then I called the yota dealer and they stated that the GCVW for the truck already has the passenger weight figured in. they figure 150 per seat belt, so there is 750 that is already figured in. I also have the Reese straight line dual cam sway control and wt dist hitch. I have a 2011 Double cab 4x4 with the towing package. At last on mine that gives the truck a class 4 hitch at 1000# tounge with wt dist. I also have the Prodigy P3 brake controller. Tell them what truck you have and they send the proper plug and play harness. took me less than 30 min to install. Hardest part is finding a good place for it. happy camping

My new Camper:

87c40f94_8e0018f8dfd7a3e67f970113c28aed62b6a8887b.jpg

86c3b918_b0a7dc4ff4a75f544d815d9bbb3a39396d110ced.jpg

6. Feb 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Prerunner
    Performance: - TRD Supercharger - URD 2.85 Pulley - APR X-1 - Doug Thorley long tube headers - Magnaflow CAT back - Toytec 3" lift Audio: - Damplifier Pro, doors (x2), rear wall, floor, kick panel & firewall - JL 13TW5 - Polk Audio db6501 - Polk Audio db5251 - Alpine PDX 1.600 & 4.100 - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    That is a nice looking trailer and a big one.

7. Feb 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    RightYouAreKen

RightYouAreKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Hitch wieght dry is already 100 lbs over what the Tacoma with tow package is rated for.

8. Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Woodstocktaco

Woodstocktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 ORDC 4X4
    3" OME lift, 885 coils, Dakar rears, diff drop
    That trailer is a whopper - but I bet it's nice once you get camp set up!
    Enjoy!

9. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB

The Class IV hitch has a 1000# tounge capacity when used with wt dist.

10. Feb 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Nope, the tongue weight limit of the Tacoma (with WD factored in) is 650 lbs. You'll be hundreds of pounds over the limit once that trailer is loaded and you have batteries installed.

11. Feb 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    That trailer is WAY too much for a Tacoma. You'll most likely be over about any limit there is: payload, towing capacity, tongue weight, GVWR, once you load that trailer.

That now is almost funny (and sad at the same time). You've been fed a bunch of crap by both dealers. It's all BS what they told you and that sucks, but it's your responsibility in the end to educate yourself and make sure you are safe. Look here: http://www.toyota.com/help/glossary.html#g
    Toyota quoted: GROSS COMBINED VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (GCVWR) Total combined weight of truck and trailer, including all passengers, fuel, fluids and cargo.

That is not true, not even close. 640 lbs is the max for your truck, and even that is pushing it IMO, especially for a 4x4 DC (GVWR / low payload). A WDH does not decrease tongue weight, it just distributes it between the axles. Your WDH itself probably comes in at 100+ lbs and is part of it also.

If I were you I'd cancel that order or buy a different truck. You'll not be happy with that combo, and not safe either.

Products Discussed in

To Top