Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Receiver question

Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Xtra-SPunk will become famous soon enough
Xtra-SPunk's Tacoma Gallery
Receiver question

An idea popped in my head the other day and I'm in need of some help to see if it is truly possible. My fiance drives a '05 4Runner Sport with a tow package. I drive a '08 Tacoma X-SP that doesn't have a tow package. She won't be towing anything with her 4Runner (that would be scary with her at the wheel ), but I plan to do so with the Taco. So, since the two vehicles are on the same chassis...will the receiver on her 4Runner fit on my Taco? I'm not concerned about wiring and the tranny cooler as I would go aftermarket for those...just specifically the hitch receiver. I did some searching and couldn't find anything definite. Help is much appreciated!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Don't really know the answer, but the only way to tell is to crawl under there and do some measuring. The bolts on that 05 reciever will be pretty much rusted on.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
I am not 100% sure on this, so the only way to be sure is to un-bolt the hitch from the 4 runner and see if it lines up on the taco, but having not done that I am going to say NO.

Here's how I reached this conclusion. A search of aftermarket hitches on the internet shows the following:

05 4 runnner:

Draw Tite part number 75155
Hidden Hitch part number 70779
Reese Part Number 44548

08 Tacoma:

Draw Tite part number75236
Hidden Hitch part number 87581
Reese part number 33090

Also please note that atleast in the aftermarket the 4runner hitches are rated to 3500 lbs, while the taco hitches are rated to 5000 lbs. That could just be aftermarket, but it could be factory as well so I'd urge you not to do this because even if the bolt holes line up, you could be trying to pull more with your taco than the 4runner hitch can withstand, and once you take to the roads with that set up, you are then taking a chance with my life and the lives of my family and I'd request that you not do that.

Spend the $135 or so on a hitch that is designed and rated for your truck.

Regards,

Adam
Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division
Clelsdah is on a distinguished road

Clelsdah's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Not sure of compatability but I have a 08 taco and the wife has a 05 4runner both with tow packages. In my opinion the 4runner tows better. Possibly due to 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control, and the weight of the 4 runner. The Taco tows fine and has a higher capacity but its more comfortable in the wife's ride. BTW I will never admit this to my wife.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Since she is your fiancee. Why bother moving it. Just use the 4runner if you need to tow.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Xtra-SPunk will become famous soon enough
Xtra-SPunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
We have an 08 V8 4Runner with the tow package and my 07 Taco came with the tow package. The hitches are not the same.
That pretty much sums it up. Thanks for all the info guys...looks like I'll be on the hunt for a new receiver.