1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I Tow this?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by accesscab, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    accesscab

accesscab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My brother in law has a 1986 Mastercraft stars and stripes ski boat. It is 19ft long. I'm not worried as much about towing it as i am pulling it out of the water. Most boat ramps around here are pretty steep. I'm unsure of the boats weight plus gear, gas, and the added water that will be in the hull. I have a 2010 prerunner TRD with the tow package. Any information about pulling it out of the water and wheel spin etc. is helpful

2. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    v6 or 4 cylinder?

I have a v6 in mine (6 speed manual if it makes a difference) and have pulled my boat out of some steep boat ramps. My boat is an aluminum all welded 18 ft tracker with a 40 horse on it, so it is pretty light, but I hade no problem with it.

I also tow 2 Zero Turn Mowers on a 6x12 trailer, one 48 inch commercial mower and one 56 inch comercial mower, Both are pretty heavy.

I have started off on some pretty steep hills with these as well (from where I parked on hills on the road) and other than a slow start off, I didn't have any trouble really.

the 56 inch weighs something like 1000 pounds, I dont know the other though

3. Apr 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    accesscab

accesscab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    v6 auto and i pull a Hustler super Z 66" with no problem, but am a little cautious with pulling the boat out of the water and up the ramp.

4. Apr 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    you will be fine. just apply the brake bring your revs up a bit...then slowly lift off the brake till you start creeping forward.

this allows you to keep traction and not have to worry about rolling backwards initially.

5. Apr 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    ive pulled my 21 foot fishing boat outta many steep ramps that were slick as well..

and we used to have a 22 foot supra wake boat. prob heavier than what your pulling, had no issues.

6. Apr 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I forgot, only time I have ever had a problem pulling my boat out of the water was Wen the ramp was partially iced over......that was scary. I ended up having to put it in 4wd and pray

I got it out though....barely, the front wheels eventually caught and started pulling

Products Discussed in

To Top