1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running light problem

Discussion in 'Towing' started by cole2011, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Aug 1, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    cole2011

cole2011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cole
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 trd tacoma
    I have a 2010 Tacoma and when I hook up to a trailer my brake lights and blinkers work but my running light do not. The reason they do not work is because where you plug in the trailer lights to the trucks hook up one of the leads is dead. Meaning no power. It worked up until last week. So my real question is "is there a fuse somewhere that controls only the running lights but not the brake and blinker lights?"

2. Aug 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Your trailer lights should be wired independant of the truck's lights via a converter. It uses a separate power lead from the battery to power the trailer's lights. It uses the truck's lights as a signal.
    Running the trailer lights off the truck's lights will lead to blown fuses, and burned up blinker relays if the load is too great.

3. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If it's a factory unit then yes in the fuse box under the hood. Also some years had a fuse under the dash also but yours should have 2 uner hood. If it's el cheepo aftermarket who knows how it was put in.

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    freeone56

freeone56 Active Member

Member:
    Washington/Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x TRD SR5
    3" lift,airbags,upgraded shocks,e-locker rear diff,winch
    I have the same problem on my 99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD SR5. First time I hooked up a trailer to the flat 4 wire connector, I got working brake and signal lights but no running lights. Traced it to "No Power to out of factory trailer lights converter". I do have LED Tail Lights on the trailer. Could that be a problem? Anybody have any advice as to a good solid converter with surge/wiring short protection?

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    cole2011

cole2011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cole
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 trd tacoma
    my problem was is that plug in on the truck side has gotten greese on it and the greece was acting as insulator and also i was counting on the trailer to ground itself on the ball but there again the greese was acting like an insulator and i was not getting a good ground.. and also i simple blow fuse

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grease is a good and necessary thing for the electric contacts, but use the right kind of grease. Some grease can insulate, but this is NOT that important of property to actually consider, because the two sides of the socket should exert enough pressure on each other to make contact past the grease. In a pinch, I use bearing grease to protect trailer connectors.

The best/proper stuff to use is called dielectric grease, which is actually an insulator:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease#Dielectric_grease

"It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on such high pressure contact surfaces has the advantage of sealing the contact area against corrosion."

You should NEVER rely on the trailer ball offering negative for the trailer. A combination of dirt and RUST will almost guarantee a flickering tail light experience.

Note: "ground" is the wrong word. This circuit is not grounded. "Ground" is called "ground" because it is literally a circuit tied in to the dirt you walk on. You are dealing with a self contained ungrounded DC circuit, you have POSITIVE and NEGATIVE. When dealing with AC power distribution networks, often ground is used as negative when a direct current positive potential is established relative to it.

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    freeone56

freeone56 Active Member

Member:
    Washington/Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x TRD SR5
    3" lift,airbags,upgraded shocks,e-locker rear diff,winch
    The 4 conductor wire from the converter to the hitch was sliced up about midway on the wire. Then it was stuffed back into the wire loom. I think it must have shorted out and blown that part of the converter circuit. I repaired the wire and bypassed the converter for the running lights. Dont think it will be a problem but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. Thanks all.
    Ron

Products Discussed in

To Top