Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Would you?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Would you?

Ok guys need some help from the towing experts here. I am looking at a 89 SAS pickup and have a 02 double cab with the 3.4 would I be ok to tow it with what I have? Should I re gear and add a trans cooler or just get something to tow with? Thanks for any help.

Basically would you tow this

with this
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I've towed a 16ft trailer with a 71 firebird on it, no problems at all. I do have the oil cooler stock though.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Yes. I've towed a 16ft trailer with a 71 firebird on it, no problems at all. I do have the oil cooler stock though.
I figured I would be ok just want to make sure. All you had was an oil cooler for the trans? I also thought that if I re gear I would see better results. My truck is paid for and just don't want to have to get something to tow this other rig with and end up having to sell mine.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey badger View Post
I figured I would be ok just want to make sure. All you had was an oil cooler for the trans? I also thought that if I re gear I would see better results. My truck is paid for and just don't want to have to get something to tow this other rig with and end up having to sell mine.
Bone ass stock 2011 DC 2x4 with OR package. No re-gearing at all. I was worried to tow that as well (I'm new to trucks) but my buddy said it would be ok. It didn't have any issues at all with it. Doubt my 71 firebird is as heavy as that rig but I was using a 16ft trailer as well. Should be close.

I'm sure if you re-gear it will help but don't think you need to go through all that to tow this.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you have a lot of hills in your area but I towed 3500 pounds and on the hills I struggled tryin to stay on 60 in a 70mph area
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

See my dad has a 2011 also and he tow a tractor with a 16ft as well. He has the 4.0 where as I have the 3.4 just worried that my smaller motor want have enough to get the job done.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I totally overlooked your motor size. I got a 4.0. Sorry about that I didn't even catch that for a second.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
I don't know if you have a lot of hills in your area but I towed 3500 pounds and on the hills I struggled tryin to stay on 60 in a 70mph area
No not a lot of hills at all.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No not a lot of hills at all.
You should be fine then
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Strautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 2nd Lt @TBS
Name: Nick
Strautins's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine, my buddy tows a first gen 4Runner on 40's with a heavy ass trailer with his 03 Tacoma.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
We tow an 89 Hilux with our 08.. but like you said it's the 4.0 V6 and it's regeared, and has tow package. I would be pretty worried about stopping power for your truck, we've had the occasional scary skidding stop
Yea I would upgrade the braking system.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
It's flat here. Just buy the damn thing and come wheelin'!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the weight of the truck and trailer? Is the truck street legal?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #14

Honestly not sure about the trucks weight and I'll have to get a trailer also. The truck just needs turn signals to be street legal.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly not sure about the trucks weight and I'll have to get a trailer also. The truck just needs turn signals to be street legal.
Put some turn signals in it and drive it. If that an option for you. Just make sure it reliable. I drive mine back and forth from the trails.