1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma: Do I need Airbags?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by lagman, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    lagman

lagman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    I posted this in the suspension forum, but I think maybe I should have posted it here..

I have a 2013 DC 4x4 v6 w/Towing Package. I'm planning to tow a travel trailer that when loaded will approach the max tongue weight. I'm already planning to use a WDH and sway bars.

I've read Tacomas tend to sag in the back when any decent amount of weight is put on.. But all of those posts are from years ago. Are the 2013 springs any better than the older Tacomas, or would I benefit greatly from putting on some Firestone Airbags?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Feb 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    kavy

kavy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    CALGARY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD
    3" Lift
    Hi Dan,

I tow a 5300lb Dry trailer and with a WDH i can eliminate the majority of sag however recently install airbags so I could have more tongue weight as I noticed I was having a bit of sway.

IMO for the $200-$300 it is money well spent as when I air up to 35psi my truck has 0 sag.

3. Feb 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    lagman

lagman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    I'm thinking my trailer will be around 5500-5600lbs when loaded.. I'm guessing yours is higher than that loaded. You said you had a bit of sway without the air bags.. Did you use sway bars? Also, how did your Tacoma perform with that much weight? Were you comfortable taking it on long trips?

I'm just trying to get as much real world info as I can from people who have towed at/near capacity so I don't end up white knuckle driving every time I take it out.

Thanks,
    Dan

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    kavy

kavy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    CALGARY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD
    3" Lift
    The sway existed because my WDH was setup wrong. As I wanted to eliminate sag I ended up removing too much tongue weight, and yes my WDH has sway control as well.

I towed this setup without the airbags and the only time I white knuckled is when I was passed by and 18 wheeler and now that my WDH is setup right (like I mentioned earlier I pushed too much weight too the front on the TV) that issue doesn't exist.

For performance I can tell the trailer is there, really tell but on the highway it's comfortable. Mountain roads are fine as well I really only feel underpowered when I am going up a steep incline.

5. May 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    52motorhead

52motorhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kavy, what psi do you run in your air bags?

6. May 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    Boltsfaninmo

Boltsfaninmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    FWIW, I have the same truck. I bought a toy hauler that weighs 3300#'s dry. The mfg. said the TW was 620. But, after weighing with the WDH, battery, 2 LP tanks, etc. the TW was 800#'s. Long story short, I'm now selling the truck because it can't handle towing that much effectively. If I were you, I'd be very careful. FWIW, coming from a guy who now owns two new trucks, the Tacoma that can't tow my new trailer and the F150 I bought to "hopefully" tow it. I may have even make a mistake buying a 1/2 ton truck to tow. Pay very close attention to "payload." In my case. 800#'s TW+ME+1 of my two dogs, and I'm at the max payload. The bad part about that...I have to leave my Wife, and other dog at home because if they get in the truck, I'm over the payload max. This is on a trailer that is 3300#'s dry.

7. May 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Lagman, I would first hook up the trailer to your truck and SEE if you need them.... I thought for sure that I would need them, however, it turns out that the WDH did all the work for me....

8. May 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    kavy

kavy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    CALGARY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD
    3" Lift
    5 psi unloaded
    25 psi with the trailer. ( used to use 35psi but it was too much)

I felt the air bags made a huge difference as I was able to take some pressure off the WDH which made the ride no longer bouncy.

I recently switched to a full size as I went with a larger trailer and wanted to be able to bring along a quad on certain trips. And with my full size I also installed air bags (airlift 1000) and the difference is also amazing when it comes to towing.

When you put too much pressure on the WDH the ride gets really bouncy and rough. With the addition of the air springs I am able to back off my WDH by about 2 settings and this allows me to not feel like the trailer is throwing me around like it does when I have the WDH set really tight.

Products Discussed in

To Top