Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Equipment Choices

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Equipment Choices

I am going to be purchasing a 19Ft Escape Fiberglass RV http://www.escapetrailer.com/ (Was going Air Stream Till I came Across and researched these) , so I have to set the truck up for comfortably towing 3800Lbs (Trailer Wet Plus gear and sundries ) Another 250lbs in the bed and 2 adults in the truck. Mind you I already have approx 125lbs of gear in the truck tool box and under seats etc.
After reading till my eyes started to bleed on here and on rv sites here is my thoughts on what mod’s to do for towing and well in general lol was going to lift it anyhow etc. I would like thoughts and or reasoned opinions of my choices please. I have researched a lot there are pro’s and con’s for every RV out there I like this one’s weight/ options and price better then the Air Stream the other makers out there I do not like their construction methods/ fit and finish and amount of up keep etc. I am more looking to see if the suspension set up has the least chance of problems lol I know no guarantees but figured I would ask.
1} http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-94...13-tacoma.html

Old Man Emu Complete Kit for '05-'13 Tacoma

SKU: OMETAC05 With Stock light Load or Heavy still debating want a front bumper eventually :} but with a trim packer.
2} http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/75A4899A0A0.aspx
Air bags for the rear end. Ride-Rite Rear Suspension Kit - Bolt-On

3} http://www.amazon.com/TEKONSHA-CONTROL-HARNESS-LANDCRUISER-CONTROLLER/dp/B007O5GXOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1371504085&sr= 1-1&keywords=tekonsha+prodigy+p3+tacoma+harness
Yes I am copying/imitating/appropriating/stealing this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/238063-2011-tacoma-tekonsha-prodigy-p2-trailer-brake-controller-install.html
4} ProEFX Mirrors
EFXMRTAC05HET - Black Power w/LED turn and heat - Retail $299.00
5} Considering this depending on need: http://www.columbiaoverland.com/product/toyota-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-current-dual-battery-tray
6} Also considering a secondary electric fan for the trans cooler as going up into Maine is a lot of hills. Any thoughts on this from people who have done it I know there is at least one person who has just can’t recall the name.
I know there is a lot of knowledge here and opinions are appreciated bearing in mind I try to do things in life with the least amount of drama and damage to my wallet lol. With that in mind I also follow the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) I like reliability and function more then “cool Looks”.
Cypherian
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
David100 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: EOD
David100's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a great travel trailer; good luck with it.

I don't know that I can directly hep you, but I have a similar Tacoma with factory towing package (transmission and oil cooler, heavy duty battery, 130 Amp alternator, Class IV Receiver & Hitch, Trailer Sway Control, and 7-Pin Connector with converter) and a travel trailer in the same weight range, bed cargo load, and occupants the same too so I will add a few comments. I hope they help.

I have not modified my Tacoma except for the brake controller. I use McKesh mirrors which are removable, but I might have gone with the ProEX that I have found on this forum if I had known about them.

I live in west TN and have traveled through the SE states so have gone over mountains between TN and NC without too many problems. I have found, though, that on steep uphill and down hill roads, I must use 3rd gear to maintain 55 mph (speed limit) and not have to brake a lot going downhill at about 3000 rpm. I would also like to have more power than the 4.0 L can give on the uphill side of rolling hills in the southern states. I usually don't use cruise because the transmission wants to downshift even at the slightest hill.

One final note. My trailer has a 3-way refrigerator. When I tow, I set the switch to 12-volt battery power. However, the Tacoma/trailer wiring does not give enough charging to sufficiently cool the refrigerator, run the refrigerator exhaust fan and charge the deep cycle marine battery. So I find that the refrigerator does not stay cold enough.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a weight distribution hitch on your list?

I just purchased this one: http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP66153.html

This hitch also has sway control.

Will be towing a Deere tractor on an 18' car hauler. Approx. 3000lbs to 4000lbs plus weight of trailer.

Spindifferent
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
hellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hellsbay's Tacoma Gallery
Cypherian, I think you made the right choice in trailers. I bought an AS Bambi in Rhode Island and towed it home to Florida. I also took it out west for 6 weeks, traveling through the Rockies. I towed with a Toyota FJ Cruiser and had no problems other than a blow out going 75 mph. I was able to pull to the side of the road with no problems and only minor damage to the wheel well. By the way the trailer tires were brand new, maybe three months old. You can't safely go over 65mph with trailer tires. I did have a special hitch and mirrors. After more research, I found Oliver Technologies Travel Trailers. They are very similar to the one you are getting, fiberglass. They have an all aluminum frame, dual group 27 batteries, inverter, satellite TV, AC, three way fridge, double hull with insulation between, dual pane windows, adjustable tongue. It weighs 3800# fully loaded and I put 16 inch wheels on it with Michelin LT tires. So I have no worries about going 75 down the highway. It comes lifted with quad shocks.

The AS was really, really cool, but was going to be a nightmare in maintenance. Outdated technology and poor build. It had the potential for leaks everywhere and wood floors and furniture.

I am getting 1-3 more mpg with the Oliver and do not need any special hitch and do not need the tow mirrors. I have had this trailer all through the Rockies and the eastern mountains with no problems towing with the FJ Cruiser. The Taco should be even better, as it has a longer wheel base and can tow more weight.

I have an Icon stage 4 lift with CDC on the front, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac tires. My Oliver is 17 feet and heavier than yours because of the double hull. If you haven't already, check out the Fiberglass Forum. I have a friend that has been pulling his Oliver, just like mine, for four years with his 4 cylinder Taco. He has never had any problems and also pulls through the Rockies.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure you'll need some type of spacer for the airbags if you are going to lift the truck, but I honestly don't think you'll need them with Dakars and a WDH. ProEFX mirrors would be good, but dang ugly IMHO, and not absolutely needed. As for an electric fan for the trans cooler, good idea, but probably overkill. I'd personally just see to it that the trans fluid is changed at its regular intervals. Sounds like a pretty sweet little overland setup you got going on here!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David100 View Post
That looks like a great travel trailer; good luck with it.

I don't know that I can directly hep you, but I have a similar Tacoma with factory towing package (transmission and oil cooler, heavy duty battery, 130 Amp alternator, Class IV Receiver & Hitch, Trailer Sway Control, and 7-Pin Connector with converter) and a travel trailer in the same weight range, bed cargo load, and occupants the same too so I will add a few comments. I hope they help.

I have not modified my Tacoma except for the brake controller. I use McKesh mirrors which are removable, but I might have gone with the ProEX that I have found on this forum if I had known about them.

I live in west TN and have traveled through the SE states so have gone over mountains between TN and NC without too many problems. I have found, though, that on steep uphill and down hill roads, I must use 3rd gear to maintain 55 mph (speed limit) and not have to brake a lot going downhill at about 3000 rpm. I would also like to have more power than the 4.0 L can give on the uphill side of rolling hills in the southern states. I usually don't use cruise because the transmission wants to downshift even at the slightest hill.

One final note. My trailer has a 3-way refrigerator. When I tow, I set the switch to 12-volt battery power. However, the Tacoma/trailer wiring does not give enough charging to sufficiently cool the refrigerator, run the refrigerator exhaust fan and charge the deep cycle marine battery. So I find that the refrigerator does not stay cold enough.
I had the same problem with my 3-way refrigerator on 12 volts while towing. I installed a 30 amp curcuit breaker off of the alternator and ran 8 gauge wire to the 7pin connector,because the factory plug is a poor design, you cant enlarge the wire size . I installed a heavy duty aftermarket 7pin connector that could handle the 8 gauge wire. Also, I replaced the trailer pigtail that's had larger gauge wire.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all ,

Thanks for the input, yes the owner of the trailer is basically giving me a turn key out fit he ordered the new one the company builds that is 21 foot. He towed this with his FJ . He is giving me the Anderson Weight Distribution / Anti Sway hitch, the Yamaha 2000is generator along with all the modifications he has done which I will list in a moment did I mention the trailer is less then a year old ??:} LOL Some guys and their size issues lol. The lift and air bags were a question I didn't think I would need but figured if someone had done it and found the didn't need it or did they would chime in. Thanks for the heads up on the refer problem I will check into whether or not the battery charges from the tow vehicle or the solar panel when in motion not sure on that. Yes I am on fiberglassrv and escapeforum the weights were the driving factor and ease of repair if need be I spent 23 years working on aircraft as structural repair so metal, fiberglass, Kevlar, Boron, Graphite, Polycarbonate etc etc and I are old friends. Which is why I was looking at airstreams. I did just get back from Ohio and toured the Airstream plant I am glad I made my choice on the fiberglass one. Not impressed with their build when you see behind the walls.
The list of mods:

To consolidate all of what we havespoken of:

Your AD has the following :

……………………………………………………………………………………………….
ForSale- 2012 Escape 19’ fiberglass trailer with free delivery*

Due to the slow economy I have decided to sell my almost new 19’ Escape inorder to make room for a new 21’ Escape. I’m hoping to take delivery sometimein December, 2013 and must make room for the new unit.
The 19‘Escape trailer will be available in 120 days, or after October 7, 2013with free delivery up to *1000 miles from York, Pa being included in the price.
When ordering this Escape I availed myself with just about every available optionoffered then in July 2012 and since then I have made some more modifications.The trailer has been set up for winter use and options ordered accordingly.

Here is a list of factory options included:
Coleman Polar Cub 9200 btu air conditioning with 5000 watt heat strip
2 additional opening windows- kitchen and bath (first one)
3 burner stainless steel stove
bike rack option
aluminum rims (4)
cot ready option
cabinet door on dinette
6” thick dinette cushion option
Group 29 battery with 130 a/h
95 watt solar package
front storage locker
extra plywood installed inside walls for mounting items
thermal windows and extra insulation
spray foam and 12v heat pads underneath on fresh and grey tanks
led interior lights
led exterior lights with an additional set added
microwave
detachable power cord
screen room
stainless steel sink and faucet
tv and cable ready package
3 x12v outlets, 1 extra 120v outlet
extra fold up shelf in bedroom
digital furnace thermostat
front/side/porch lights wired together

The trailer includes all the standard Escape 19 options including Carefreeawning, hot water heater, marine bath, low draw Atwood Everest furnace,refrigerator, Maxx Fan, dual propane tanks, front window protector, magicsliding table, sliding screen door, full rear queen bed and front dinettedouble bed with cot option for children. With 8 windows of which 6 are opening,
we have had to only use the a/c once as the MaxxFann and extra insulation keepsthe unit really cool in the summer. In the winter the floor remains warm due tothe spray foam underneath and with the thermal windows and extra insulation youwill remain toasty down to -0-.

The following additions have been made since August 2012:
Progressive Industries 30 amp EMS with remote
cherry floating floor
teak bath floor
under bed led lighting
battery led lights in cabinet areas
2 led wall sconces added to bed area
replaced stock Maxx Fann cover with smoke lens
Jensen am/fm/ipod stereo weather radio
Jensen 19’ 12v LED HD TV
rear cargo rack
dual setting 500/1000w electric heater installed