Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing with a SC

Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with a SC

I have a 2013 DC TRD Sport (auto) with factory towing package. Would the addition of a SC reduce the build up of heat in the automatic transmission when towing by reducing the locking / unlocking?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
No. It will be hotter because it is putting even more torque through.
On mine, I don't tow in OD... saves the trans whether manual or auto.
It made a big difference in capability, though! Best investment ever
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely a great investment. Now when pulling my boat it's almost like its not even there
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
I'd consider an external trans oil cooler (B&M or similar, with bypass) with a temp gauge and external filter for added protection if you are going to do any heavy towing/hauling, S/C or not. For a couple hundred dollars you can ensure your auto trans is well-protected, seeing as they are expensive and not easily fixed in your garage.

There's a thread on TW I was reading awhile back that had a very good discussion on the subject.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replys.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
I'd consider an external trans oil cooler (B&M or similar, with bypass) with a temp gauge and external filter for added protection if you are going to do any heavy towing/hauling, S/C or not. For a couple hundred dollars you can ensure your auto trans is well-protected, seeing as they are expensive and not easily fixed in your garage.

There's a thread on TW I was reading awhile back that had a very good discussion on the subject.
The tow package comes with a transmission oil cooler doesn't it?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Towing with a SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
The tow package comes with a transmission oil cooler doesn't it?
Yeah, but from what I gathered its a bit half-assed as its co-located/built in with the radiator and would operate better relocated in front of the radiator.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
I would add an external transmission oil cooler, but I don't want to void the warranty. Wonder if a deal would install one? I really want a SC!!!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I would add an external transmission oil cooler, but I don't want to void the warranty. Wonder if a deal would install one? I really want a SC!!!!!
Yeah, we hit on this subject in the trans cooler thread. If anything, it's better for the system, but I might hold off until the warranty expires.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I have a 2013 DC TRD Sport (auto) with factory towing package. Would the addition of a SC reduce the build up of heat in the automatic transmission when towing by reducing the locking / unlocking?
Yes, it reduces the locking/unlocking.Trans heat stays about the same. Don't over-think this, the tranny will put up with a lot. I tow 5,400 lbs fairly often and flog the truck pretty hard. Never an issue. Trans fluid still smells fine at 62,000 miles. Toyota tech told me towing in OD is not an issue, so that's what I do. I do go to 4th if it starts hunting for a gear.