Remove Driveshaft questions

Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Born yesterday
BB72 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
BB72's Tacoma Gallery
Remove Driveshaft questions

Hey guys,

I have to tow my beloved Tacoma across the country (2400km).

I will be using a dolly trailer, so the rear wheels will be on the ground. I know this is not the best situation, but U-haul doesn't have a vehicle trailer that will fit the Tacoma.

So I'm left with removing the driveshaft, and I've never done this before. I've looked on the internet and am just looking for assurance that it's ok to do this.

I'm capable with tools but I'm a carpenter not a mechanic - usually the extent of it for me is changing the oil.

So a few questions:
1. Can/ should I just remove one driveshaft?
2. Should I replace u-joints while I'm at it?
3. Will it be fairly easy to do in my driveway with a basic set of sockets and wrenches?

Any other advice or things I should think about?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future

Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
2qty 14mm wrenches, one 14 mm socket and some whiteout will do the job.

My advice: If you do remove the driveshaft, Just make sure to mark the driveshaft and end flanges accordingly to maintain factory balance when you go to put it back in. If you replace the u-joints again mark the shaft accordingly.

I have no experience with long haul towing of vehicles but removing the driveshaft seems like a good idea for reduced wear on the disconnected portion of the drivetrain.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Born yesterday
BB72 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
BB72's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, thanks. Seems pretty straight forward then.