Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Do I need a hitch pin?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need a hitch pin?

Sorry for the newb towing question...

Just got a D-Ring receiver and don't have a hitch pin. I do have a 5/8 stainless steel bolt, could I just throw on 2 washers and a nut? Or is there something special about hitch pins that I'm missing?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
hitch pins are made to take on and off easily, id just go buy one.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
hitch pins are made to take on and off easily, id just go buy one.
and most are made so the hitch dose not slide in and out to much, and are probably stronger than a bolt.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Japanese
mudyota is on a distinguished road

mudyota's Tacoma Gallery
They are made to come off easy...so people can steal them haha

I've had some really nice hitches with hitch pin locks stolen by cutting the lock with a hack saw blade

Of course my truck is lifted so I have to get a nice drop hitch and robbers can't stay away so I just keep it in my truck
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get a pin, you don't want much play in there and pins are made for hauling. Probably a lot stronger and harder than just a bolt.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
As long as that bolt is not zinc, but grade5 or grade 8 you will be fine. Without getting into specifics a 5/8" grade 5 in the shank is actually as strong as a 5/8" hitch pin.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonT View Post
As long as that bolt is not zinc, but grade5 or grade 8 you will be fine. Without getting into specifics a 5/8" grade 5 in the shank is actually as strong as a 5/8" hitch pin.
Til I do some research, I'll have to take your word on that.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
5/8" grade 5 bolt is about 25,000 sheer strength and grade 8 is about 27-30k (depending on threads)in tensile strength. For a hitch pin where you aren't clamping down when tightening Grade 5 may fair better. Truthfully they would be almost the exact same for a hitch pin. Most hitch pins are only rated at 10k very conservatively.
Make sure the bolt is long enough that the threads are not riding the metal of the hitch.