Do I have brake flanges on my trailer?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
WxCaster
bawilson21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Name: Bryan
bawilson21's Tacoma Gallery
Do I have brake flanges on my trailer?

I'm trying to put brakes on my trailer in preparation for a cross country haul across the Rockies in winter. I'll be towing with my rather light 1st gen Tacoma so I'll need some additional stopping power. I cant tell if there are brake flanges on my trailer though so I was hoping to get an opinion from someone who has dealt with trailer axles in the past. Does my trailer have brake flanges already mounted on it? I was thinking it would be more square shaped but I could be wrong.

My trailer is a 10x6 Cargo trailer with a 3500lb axle with a GVWR of 2990lbs. Would adding brakes increase the GVWR to 3500lbs?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
No you don't. Adding brakes will no increase the capacity. Changing the axle will. In order to add brakes, you will need an axle with flanges. If you are looking to add brakes, you would be better off just changing the whole axle and get one loaded with brakes.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJC View Post
No you don't. Adding brakes will no increase the capacity. Changing the axle will. In order to add brakes, you will need an axle with flanges. If you are looking to add brakes, you would be better off just changing the whole axle and get one loaded with brakes.
to increase the capacity, in addition to a stronger axle with brakes, he would also have to upgrade the springs to the proper rating, and then verify that the frame and floor of the trailer are sufficient enough to take an increased load.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
to increase the capacity, in addition to a stronger axle with brakes, he would also have to upgrade the springs to the proper rating, and then verify that the frame and floor of the trailer are sufficient enough to take an increased load.
Absolutely. I would always get new springs when changing axles. However, if it's a single axle, you may overload the frame if you up the capacity. Most single axle trailers aren't built with much more than 1/8" to 3/16"angle iron.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawilson21 View Post
My trailer is a 10x6 Cargo trailer with a 3500lb axle with a GVWR of 2990lbs. Would adding brakes increase the GVWR to 3500lbs?
The trailer mfr wouldn't downrate the GVWR for the lack of brakes. Whether brakes are required by law is different from state to state. The trailer is already weaker than the existing axle. Adding brakes wouldn't increase the trailer's GVWR, but will make your drive more pleasant.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Absolutely. I would always get new springs when changing axles. However, if it's a single axle, you may overload the frame if you up the capacity. Most single axle trailers aren't built with much more than 1/8" to 3/16"angle iron.
exactly, hence the last part of the sentance. when i rebuilt my trailer (granted the extra strength needed was for off roading purposes, not load capacity), it got a stronger axle, beefier suspension, frame gussetting, and an entirely new tongue.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
exactly, hence the last part of the sentance. when i rebuilt my trailer (granted the extra strength needed was for off roading purposes, not load capacity), it got a stronger axle, beefier suspension, frame gussetting, and an entirely new tongue.
Any pics of the trailer? I've been getting plans together for building my own 6x10 utility single axle. I wanted to over-build somewhat and use a 6K axle so I don't have to worry about capacity.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Plenty of pictures. it may not be your best refference though, as it is build purely for offroading. i pull it on the street to and from wheeling, but that's about all of the pavement time it sees. the link geometry is dialed in perfect, but the springs and shocks are a temporary solution because i had to get the trailer up and running quick. they will be coming out and replaced with a full coilover as soon as i have the time. probably kings.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
WxCaster

Thanks everyone. I'll probably take the trailer to a fabrication shop to have the flanges welded on... that or buy a new axle.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Please stop!

You are wasting your time getting flages welded on this axle. You can buy the entire axle for less than $250 and do it yourself.

I buld and sell trailers and I get this ? asked all the time. It is much more cost effective to get a new axle with the brakes already installed.

Hope this helps.

KO
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Any pics of the trailer? I've been getting plans together for building my own 6x10 utility single axle. I wanted to over-build somewhat and use a 6K axle so I don't have to worry about capacity.

Bill:

I see you want to build your own trailer. Good on you.

I have an example of the trailers I build over in the for sale section. If it is something you like, I have a complete build thread over on another forum.

I spend a lot of time on the Garage Journal site. If you search the same name over there you can find my build thread by searching threads started by koditten. You may have to become a member to see the pics.

Later

KO
Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
WxCaster

new axle for under $250...is that with brakes installed on the axle? I'm thinking I can get the flanges for $14 and welded on for another $60. Then that would leave the price of brakes/hubs/wiring which will be around $225? I'm not sure where I could purchase a new axle locally as I live in a small town right now. Factor in gas or shipping to purchase and it puts me close to the price of a new axle. But I will do some more research around my area to purchase a new axle. Maybe theres a place I'm not aware of that sells them.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 AM   #13

$140 for a set of brakes and drums, I don't know what the backing plates go for, 75 bucks for the welder to put on the flanges, it adds up.

Get a new axle and sell the old one.