Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Is this trailer pushing the tacoma's limits?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
boognish is on a distinguished road
boognish's Tacoma Gallery
Is this trailer pushing the tacoma's limits?

I'm looking at hybrid campers and have found one I am interested in. I have attached a picture of the specs below. It will be towed with a 2014 4x4 DC w/tow package. Do you think i'll be able to tow this comfortably? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this trailer pushing the tacoma's limits?-tnpecsg.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
phiniac is on a distinguished road
phiniac's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine with that camper. If the rear end sags on you, you'll probably want to get a weight distribution hitch. Keep it out of Drive and just put it in 4th gear.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
You're good.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to consider some airbags for your truck, it will keep the rear leafs from flattening out if you plan to tow that a lot.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
mikebuyscars is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikebuyscars's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a Jayco x18D and the posted weight is the same as yours, except by the time they finish adding accesories I am at 3700#. I pull it just fine but I do use WD hitch. Taco's are good off road trucks so they have soft rear springs. I tow in Drive as long as the engine does not lug or the trans does not hunt for gears. On flat land it locks into 5th at 65MPH. I never go past 70 though. no hurry to get there!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
SpecialK is on a distinguished road
SpecialK's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine but definitely use a weight distributing hitch with sway control. I tow a 27' ultra light trailer that weighs 4000lbs dry (it's a 2012 DCLB with the tow package). Don't think you'll need the air bags but that should be your decision.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
boognish is on a distinguished road
boognish's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the quick responses, hoping I can pull a good deal on this thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
air bags will help tremendously... towing that trailer, I'd recommend them since the factory rear springs are weak
Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #9
dandude23 is on a distinguished road
dandude23's Tacoma Gallery
Boognish, did you used to play Americas army?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
crazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jesse
crazy joker's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget trailer brakes. My travel trailer is about the same weight. Tows great. Had it cross country last year. I only use the load distributing hitch if I bring a lot of gear on a trip. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #11
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Might want to consider some airbags for your truck, it will keep the rear leafs from flattening out if you plan to tow that a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
air bags will help tremendously... towing that trailer, I'd recommend them since the factory rear springs are weak
I'll throw in with Chris and Mike on the airbags. I've had mine on my truck 3 yrs now. Nice to keep things riding level for when you load both the trailer and throw additional weight in the bed.

As someone said, your decision; they have been worthwhile in my experience. FWIW
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boognish View Post
I'm looking at hybrid campers and have found one I am interested in. I have attached a picture of the specs below. It will be towed with a 2014 4x4 DC w/tow package. Do you think i'll be able to tow this comfortably? Thanks in advance.
Comfortably? Depends. I have a 3900lb GVWR and my max is 50 mph on the steep 6%-7% grades floored in 3rd gear. I have to drop the truck into 2nd gear at times to get any acceleration around the 18-wheelers on those grades. Redline in 2nd gear is about 54 mph.

On less steep grades it still struggles, I have to drop it into 3rd gear a lot to get any acceleration around the 18-wheelers and not hold up traffic behind me too much. I often put the 4-way blinkers on so people flying along at 80 mph behind me have some warning I'm just going along at 60 mph.

And I get about 10-12 mpg. It's not much of a hauler, IMO. I had an Equalizer WDH with 4-way sway control and tore that thing up going offroad on some mild dirt roads. The rear factory springs are too weak even WITH the WDH. Bought some Timbren rear bumpstops and a straight rear hitch, that solved most problems, and it still does fine on the interstate, doesn't sway out of control when 18-wheelers go blasting by me (but it's a short trailer).

I feel any vehicle passing me much more with the straight hitch, but it's not uncontrollable at all. That's my .03.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
dgtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dg
dgtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ok since were on this subject,, input please!

I have been pulling a small coleman tent trailer... looking to up grade to a Fleetwood evolution E2, my TV is a double cab long bed pre. wt tow package.. WT airbags... will get a Weight Distribution Hitch . trailer weights 2550 unloaded. 400 hitch weight. ( I know -high) don't really need the deck. ( I have a long bed) just really like the lay out of them.. even had a crazy idea to get my certified welder buddy to help me shorten the front deck.....OK so what to you guys think ???
Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine, my trailer is pushing 6000 lbs with all are gear and the truck does just fine.