1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper charging power

Discussion in 'Towing' started by KSLawman, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM
    KSLawman

KSLawman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Access Cab
    K&N CAI, TRD Catback
    Not sure that is the proper term but,,, getting ready to set my 13 Tacoma TRD for towing my small camper and boat this coming summer. I had an Alalanche and when I set it up I had to add a relay and route the wire from the firewall to the underhood fuse box to get juice for the battery charge circuit to the 7 way plug. I cannot find any reference to this for the Tacoma. Is everything set up with the tow package from the factory to give you juice to charge your RV batteries and such? I have my Tekonsha P3 coming this weekend. Hope I will have to do as little as possible.

2. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    IF you have the tow package then the 7 pin is ready to go sans a brake controller. It should be sending power to the specific pin for trailer battery charging.

3. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    KSLawman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Access Cab
    K&N CAI, TRD Catback
    Awesome, thanks for the help.

4. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    I would check the voltage with a digital voltmeter across the deep cycle "house" battery posts with the engine running to ensure that there is enough voltage to charge it. If not, you might have to use a "shore" powered external "smart" charger to periodically top off the "house" battery. Isolating the starting battery will keep it from discharging while dry camping so the engine can be restarted.

For more information on batteries and charging, please see the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.

5. Mar 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    KSLawman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Access Cab
    K&N CAI, TRD Catback
    Way to lazy for dry camping. OK, family likes the conveniences more so than I.
    So it is unhooked when camping. Only concerned with running the fridge while travelling to the campsite, not so much relying on the truck to keep everything running.

6. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    JPC

JPC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JPC
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB TRD 4X4
    5100s front & rear, 2"AAL, KMC XD wheels, Hecuules Tera Trac AT II 265/65/17 tires, ARE Color Matched Topper, Thule Roof Rack, Alpine INE-W940
    I'm wanting to add power inside of my topper for overnight/ weekend camping trips. I could use some help trying to figure out how and were to mount a second battery, ideas on how to keep it charged(alternator, solar, etc??) Is there any threads that show other peoples builds? I would like to run some low amp led lights, have power for a laptop, charge a phone, run a small fan in summer and maybe a small electric heater during the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Products Discussed in

To Top