Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

The Tacoma Towing Bible

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #641
buckwild is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
buckwild's Tacoma Gallery
It's about time for me to buy some TT tires. The size is 205/75D...What's the best brand to get, are radials any better, & what price range? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #642
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedgw View Post
I combined all your suggestions to place the controller where it could be:

1. Easily reached while staying planted behind the steering wheel.
2. Avoided by my knees getting in and out of the truck & in an accident.
3. Removed and return the dash to it's factory look if I ever sell the TT.

I mounted the controller in the coin tray with a bracket I made from a fire extinguisher holder. I just trimmed down the fire ex. mount to fit flush inside the tray and mounted the P2 with the supplied strap mount. I cut a hole in the back of the coin tray for the wire harness to route through.

(If I had to do it again I wouldn't have cut the fire ex. mount flush with the coin tray but allowed it to protrude an extra 3/4" forward to make the topside "boost control" more accessible.)
Very nice! I tried to get mine to work in there but gave up. I may try again in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #643
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedgw View Post
I combined all your suggestions to place the controller where it could be:

1. Easily reached while staying planted behind the steering wheel.
2. Avoided by my knees getting in and out of the truck & in an accident.
3. Removed and return the dash to it's factory look if I ever sell the TT.

I mounted the controller in the coin tray with a bracket I made from a fire extinguisher holder. I just trimmed down the fire ex. mount to fit flush inside the tray and mounted the P2 with the supplied strap mount. I cut a hole in the back of the coin tray for the wire harness to route through.

(If I had to do it again I wouldn't have cut the fire ex. mount flush with the coin tray but allowed it to protrude an extra 3/4" forward to make the topside "boost control" more accessible.)
Nice, Ive been planning on installing my controller in the same spot when I do it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #644
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild View Post
It's about time for me to buy some TT tires. The size is 205/75D...What's the best brand to get, are radials any better, & what price range? Thanks for the info.
There is not any best brand. I can't recall any MFG that are NOT made in China off the top of my head. And thats why brand is null. Some may disagree, but at the end of the day, trailer tires will blowout or need replacement from a foreign object (nail), under-inflation, or dry rot. Just choose an established name brand such as, but not limited to; Goodyear, Load Star, Carlisle, Etc. Just be wary of "house" brands.

As far as radials, absolutely. Radials are very common these days and the numerous handing improvements are well worth it. All positives with radials (except cost!) that your tire guy says is true. Especially with a Travel Trailer where long drives are the norm.

Price varies so much, I can't even give an estimate.
This spring I paid $375 for (4) Loadstar ST215/75R-15" Radials, M & B out the door. After a quick google search I may have got a deal. But with 9 road trailer axles, 3 vehicles, a tri-axle truck, a tractor and all the misc farm equipment, I think [Correction: KNOW] my tire guy still makes money off me!

Well I typed that quick, so hopefully the intent of question was answered.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #645
buckwild is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
buckwild's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
There is not any best brand. I can't recall any MFG that are NOT made in China off the top of my head. And thats why brand is null. Some may disagree, but at the end of the day, trailer tires will blowout or need replacement from a foreign object (nail), under-inflation, or dry rot. Just choose an established name brand such as, but not limited to; Goodyear, Load Star, Carlisle, Etc. Just be wary of "house" brands.

As far as radials, absolutely. Radials are very common these days and the numerous handing improvements are well worth it. All positives with radials (except cost!) that your tire guy says is true. Especially with a Travel Trailer where long drives are the norm.

Price varies so much, I can't even give an estimate.
This spring I paid $375 for (4) Loadstar ST215/75R-15" Radials, M & B out the door. After a quick google search I may have got a deal. But with 9 road trailer axles, 3 vehicles, a tri-axle truck, a tractor and all the misc farm equipment, I think [Correction: KNOW] my tire guy still makes money off me!

Well I typed that quick, so hopefully the intent of question was answered.
Thanks for the info...I will be heading out west next year & want to have tires I can depend on. Another ?...do I need to have the T/T wheels balanced?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #646
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild View Post
Thanks for the info...I will be heading out west next year & want to have tires I can depend on. Another ?...do I need to have the T/T wheels balanced?
Yes, have it done. Most likely already included in the price of mounting. May be folklore, but apparently increases tire life.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #647
Bo Rocks has a spectacular aura aboutBo Rocks has a spectacular aura aboutBo Rocks has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
Bo Rocks's Tacoma Gallery
Can my 2006 4x4 tacoma double cab be towed BEHIND AN RV with all 4 wheels on the ground?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #648
flashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really nice
flashsplat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Rocks View Post
Can my 2006 4x4 tacoma double cab be towed BEHIND AN RV with all 4 wheels on the ground?
Per the owners manual I would say no. It must be trailerd.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #649
Bo Rocks has a spectacular aura aboutBo Rocks has a spectacular aura aboutBo Rocks has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
Bo Rocks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsplat View Post
Per the owners manual I would say no. It must be trailerd.
all 4 wheels off the ground?

can I have the back 2 on the ground? or the front 2?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #650
flashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really nice
flashsplat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Rocks View Post
all 4 wheels off the ground?

can I have the back 2 on the ground? or the front 2?
When I looked at the manual I was driving a 2009 Prerunner and if I recall correctly it said it could not be towed from the front or the rear- I'll check the manual tomorrow on my 2012 and let you know what it says.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #651
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brake Controller wiring question

This week I converted from a four pin trailer wiring harness to a seven pin. I used the ETBC7 kit from etrailer. The kit worked well and provided everything I needed to convert from four to seven. The only problem is the way its wired the brake controller is always on. Even when the truck is turned off, the power is coming directly off the battery. I would prefer it power off when I turn the ignition off. There must be a way to wire it to a power source that comes on when the truck does. Has anyone done this, or have any advice?

Edit: It looks like the writeup here in the towing bible says to wire it this way too. Is there a reason?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
On Tacomas with the towing package, the brake controller wiring is not wired through the ignition. The controller will not turn off with the truck but it should turn itself off after a certain amount of time to avoid draining the battery.
Thanks for the info. I just checked and the controller I have (Tekonsha Prodigy P2) says it has a power saving mode for this reason.

"Power-saving mode reduces drain on the battery when vehicle is not in use - draws only 3.6 milliamps"
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #654
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Thanks for the info. I just checked and the controller I have (Tekonsha Prodigy P2) says it has a power saving mode for this reason.

"Power-saving mode reduces drain on the battery when vehicle is not in use - draws only 3.6 milliamps"
Yup, that is the one I am using
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #655
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Great Write-up! I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see the "how to" wire up a 7-way on a 1st Generation 2.7L... Have you done a write-up for that, and if so, can you please post the link?

Much appreciative of the time and effort you've put into this!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #656
this_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
this_is_nascar's Tacoma Gallery
This weekend, I'm planning on installing my E2 Trunnion style WDH onto my Tacoma/Jayco 26BH. Is there anything, specific to the Tacoma, that I should be aware of? Obviously, I have the OEM tow-package and break controller already installed. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything specific to the Tacoma that I need to be concerned with.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #657
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
This weekend, I'm planning on installing my E2 Trunnion style WDH onto my Tacoma/Jayco 26BH. Is there anything, specific to the Tacoma, that I should be aware of? Obviously, I have the OEM tow-package and break controller already installed. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything specific to the Tacoma that I need to be concerned with.

Not really. I am doing the same. Changing WDH from chain link to Equalizer WDH.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #658
this_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shedthis_is_nascar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
this_is_nascar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Not really. I am doing the same. Changing WDH from chain link to Equalizer WDH.

OK, thanks. I didn't have the coin to spend on the full-blown Equalizer, so I got the E2 version, which only has 2-point sway control vs. the 4-point sway control of the Equalizer.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #659
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
OK, thanks. I didn't have the coin to spend on the full-blown Equalizer, so I got the E2 version, which only has 2-point sway control vs. the 4-point sway control of the Equalizer.

Always to remember to put the choke on the wheels of the trailer first before doing anything else. The guy who sold me the trailer forgot it. I bounced (hopped) backward. Luckily, he was parking the trailer on flat ground.

I almost did the same one day and just remember at the last second. It would have been a nasty result since my driveway is on a slope.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #660
Scott SD is on a distinguished road
Scott SD's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Controller Placement

Another idea for the brake controller placement. I just finished the install of the factory tow wiring harness and added a wire for the brake controller. Installed the brake controller in the center console. I don't tow much, so I wanted it hidden. Since I had the console out I also put a power outlet in the back for the rear seats.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tacoma Towing Bible-pa280067.jpg   The Tacoma Towing Bible-pa280069.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread