1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Prodigy Install Help

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PropJet, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Jun 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Feeling kind of stupid here...

I bought a Prodigy brake controller, as well as the Toyota specific wiring harness to make the install easier. The side of the harness that plugs into the Prodigy has 5 wires: blue, red, black and 2 whites. All the wires, except for 1 white wire, are connected to an adapter that plugs directly into the truck connector tucked up under the dash. However, according to the instructions, "the white wire must be connected to a suitable ground location. The negative terminal of the battery is a suitable ground location in the absence of a trailer tow package connection."

What's throwing me off is 2 things: 1) none of the posts I have read here have mentioned anything about this wire, only that it's a simple "plug and play" install, and 2) if this connector is a Toyota specific connector designed for trucks with a tow package, why is the wording in the instructions contradictory? It first says that the wire must be connected, then seems to indicate that if you have a tow package that it's not necessary.

So what's the correct answer? Does it need to be connected or not? And if so, where did you all connect it?

2. Jun 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    michigantaco09

michigantaco09 Member

Member:
    wayne, mi
    Vehicle:
    2012 silver , dc,trd off road
    When i put mine on i just put the ground on a machine screw attached near the harness hookup. Its only inches away from where you hooked up the brake controller wires. I also did this on my 06 tacoma. worked perfectly.

3. Jun 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    michigantaco09

michigantaco09 Member

Member:
    wayne, mi
    Vehicle:
    2012 silver , dc,trd off road
    Just looked at mine. When you look up from floor you should see a black plug-in box that says odm-II or something like that. Just above parking brake pedal. The screw is just to the left of that on a metal bracket. The screw is all by itself. Nothing else is attached to it. The nut for the screw is welded to the bracket so it wont fall off . Im sure that this screw is for brake control ground.

4. Jun 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    How do you guys like the prodigy and did you get the P3? I'm about to order one cause i'm getting a 2k lb trailer to haul my jeep and would like to have a good proportional break controller. Also, should i run two axle breaks or will one be enough for about 6k lbs.

5. Jun 20, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Thanks, MT. I found what you're referring to. Oh, and welcome to TW!

6. Jun 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT

I have the P3 and love it. As far as breaking with one or two, the more the better.

7. Jun 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    I installed the regular prodigy, it works just fine, I have a 16' utility trailer with brakes on one axle and it works fine so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top