Notices

Off Road pop up campers

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
smith945 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
smith945's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4me View Post
Here's a handful of photos of our Off Road Aliner being used in various situations.

This unit can be completely set up or taken down in less than 30 SECONDS and can be set up WITHOUT having to first detach it from a tow vehicle. Just pull over anywhere/anytime- even in complete darkness- and in less time than it would take you to walk around your Tacoma once, it will be fully set up and functional. Have the desire to explore a new hunting spot first thing in the morning? If you chose to, you could go from being sound asleep on a queen size bed to driving to a new hunting/fishing/camping spot in a matter of seconds. In this regard, the Aliner leaves all other pop-ups in the dust behind it.

It is completely self-contained and can run for days off a few gallons of gas using a Honda 2000 watt generator and its integral battery system. For this reason we very seldom stay at designated camp grounds and often use it as a base camp for quick afternoon or overnight hunts, fishing trips and other events like Retriever Hunt tests, field trials and for tailgating at sporting events like college football games, etc.

This unit can easily be towed anywhere that average sportsmen/adventurers like us would consider taking our truck or SUV (deep into deer/grouse woods; miles out into pheasant fields; sandy/rocky beaches, etc.).

It tows like a pop-up and is aerodynamic like a pop-up, yet it offers all the features of a much larger (and much heavier) hard-side travel trailer. Both my Jeep ad my former 4Runner (that I just sold and replaced with a 4-door Tacoma short-bed) towed it effortlessly. The best part is, MPG is completely unaffected
I've been looking at those for a few years now and would love to get one, perfect for me and my fishing/hunting adventures in western Mass and some off the beaten places in Maine.

This is my other option I've been looking at, not a pop up but close http://www.schuttindustries.com/Consumer.aspx
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #22
ArnieSea is on a distinguished road

Name: Arnie
ArnieSea's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up my new, factory configured, Off-road, Aliner back east and towed it across the country 2500 miles over the Rockies and Cascades. Towed like a dream! 65-70 MPH with 16-17 MPG. EXCEPT for the strong headwinds (30+) across ND. Killed my milage to 11.5 MPG.

LOVE this camper!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #23
ArnieSea is on a distinguished road

Name: Arnie
ArnieSea's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4me View Post
Here's a handful of photos of our Off Road Aliner being used in various situations.

This unit can be completely set up or taken down in less than 30 SECONDS and can be set up WITHOUT having to first detach it from a tow vehicle. Just pull over anywhere/anytime- even in complete darkness- and in less time than it would take you to walk around your Tacoma once, it will be fully set up and functional. Have the desire to explore a new hunting spot first thing in the morning? If you chose to, you could go from being sound asleep on a queen size bed to driving to a new hunting/fishing/camping spot in a matter of seconds. In this regard, the Aliner leaves all other pop-ups in the dust behind it.

It is completely self-contained and can run for days off a few gallons of gas using a Honda 2000 watt generator and its integral battery system. For this reason we very seldom stay at designated camp grounds and often use it as a base camp for quick afternoon or overnight hunts, fishing trips and other events like Retriever Hunt tests, field trials and for tailgating at sporting events like college football games, etc.

This unit can easily be towed anywhere that average sportsmen/adventurers like us would consider taking our truck or SUV (deep into deer/grouse woods; miles out into pheasant fields; sandy/rocky beaches, etc.).

It tows like a pop-up and is aerodynamic like a pop-up, yet it offers all the features of a much larger (and much heavier) hard-side travel trailer. Both my Jeep ad my former 4Runner (that I just sold and replaced with a 4-door Tacoma short-bed) towed it effortlessly. The best part is, MPG is completely unaffected.

Love the Picts! Just got my Aliner a week ago and am looking forward to my years of adventures. See my post above.

Your post has me thinking of more uses than I had in mind when I bought it. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
labs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud of
labs4me's Tacoma Gallery
ArnieSea,

Congratulations on your new Aliner. You're going to love all the opportunities for quick (and extended) adventures that it'll facilitate.

Just yesterday (Sunday of the 4th of July weekend) my wife and I took ours over to a beach on Lake Huron for a quick day trip. While everyone else was heading home with their camper from the holiday weekend, we were heading out! Pulled up on the beach; set up a couple of folding chairs in the shade provided by the height of the Aliner and enjoyed a quiet afternoon on the water.

Here's a helpful suggestion. Consider taking your new Aliner to a welder and having the hitch receiver on the back beefed up (the standard receiver is only designed to carry up to about 100 pounds). And then go out and get yourself one of those hitch hauler baskets that will slide into the hitch receiver. This is a great way to create additional, easily accessible storage for your extended trips. A company called GREAT DAY PRODUCTS offers an all aluminum hitch hauler that is extremely well built, yet very light weight.

Good luck to you and enjoy your new camper.

p.s. Be prepared to have lots of people approach you and inquire about your camper.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Craigslist takes patience. I shopped for mine for a few months before i found one for the price i wanted. Driving back from picking it up i got a call back from a guy from a few weeks earlier. I picked it up as well, sold the first for enough to pay for both. Free camper
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #26
Pezz1259 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Pezz1259's Tacoma Gallery
All these look great. But I tow a 14' 2010 KZ Sportsman with my 99 SR5 auto 4x4. It is Perfect for the wife and I. It did not have a tow pack so I added the hitch and just added air bags "excellent upgrade". Fully loaded I would say 3500# and it pulls great. I lock out the OD since I don't have a trans cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Off Road pop up campers-image.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #27
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a 1990 coleman popup a few days ago. Its in great shape for being 24 years old.

I just ordered new tires for it. I'd hate to have a blowout so its worth the piece of mind.
I will be repainting the inside, adding new vinyl flooring, and hopefully doing an axle flip. Ill make a build thread when the time comes.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
I planned on an axle flip on my coleman, turns out its spoa from the factory. Short of new springs its not getting any higher.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #29
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
My 04 v6/5 speed 4x4 taco tows my new camper with ease. Picked it up from the manufacture in Texas and did almost 3300 miles in 6 days with no issues. I ordered it with the upgraded hi-lift axle which was nice on some of those southern dirt roads my gps took me down.
Attached Thumbnails
Off Road pop up campers-054.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #30
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I planned on an axle flip on my coleman, turns out its spoa from the factory. Short of new springs its not getting any higher.
or lift blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dave View Post
My 04 v6/5 speed 4x4 taco tows my new camper with ease. Picked it up from the manufacture in Texas and did almost 3300 miles in 6 days with no issues. I ordered it with the upgraded hi-lift axle which was nice on some of those southern dirt roads my gps took me down.
Nice camper!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #31
jchav is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Justin
jchav's Tacoma Gallery
Nice campers everyone! I looked at a couple pop up and A frame campers this past weekend and I really like the Aliner classic titanium with the off-road package that a local dealer had on sale. I think I may pick this one up for $14k.

I am a little worried about towing since I have a 2010 regular cab 4cyl 4x4. I think the truck will tow fine but I'm worried about getting up to highway speeds. Anyone else tow about ~2000lbs with their 4 banger?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #32

Slow and steady, man. Im a member on popupportal.com and lots of people are towing popups with small SUV's and minivans. I dont think you will have a problem.