1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After-market trailer hitch ...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by aaronb43, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    aaronb43

aaronb43 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Hi all.

My Taco didn't come with a factory trailer hitch, and I am now looking to add an after-market hitch. From what I understand, the factory hitch (from Tacoma Canada) is $500 loonies ... too much in my opinion. Any advice out there? Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    If you are handy, do it yourself. If not go to a U-haul or a local trailer place and get them to install it, a name to look for is Reese. :D

3. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    aaronb43

Member:
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Do it yourself ... absolutely! There are a lot to choose from out there (just do a google search) ... thought that I would get some advice for the strong contenders!

4. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I know a lot of friends have Reese hitches, but until you see it and able to inspect the weld, I guess any will do, a friend of mine built this truck from the ground up and made his, primarily b/c of the height of the lift, nonetheless stout on all accounts. 2" seems to be the most popular size of the ball, it might be helpful to get a clevis and pin to really secure if pulling someone out of a little trouble. LOL

5. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    marvin02

marvin02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab SR5 - Black
    Top Dawg Folding Tonneau Cover, DIY Bed Light, Aux. Input for MP3 Player, OEM Bed Mat
    I have been checking out trailer hitches more for their use for attaching accessories to than for towing and have found a number reasonable priced on eBay. Many have links to the installation instructions and I definitely think that most people can DIY. Most do not require any drilling.

If you are not going to tow frequently and not going to max out your towing ability the hitch, ball, and trailer lights etc. should be all you need.

If you are going to tow frequently, tow long distances, tow in hilly terrain, or tow at the Tacoma's maximum capacity you should also look into a trans oil cooler.

The hidden hitch and Curt hitches look pretty good to me.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I bought a Curt hitch and it's great. Cost me only about 100 vones and easy to install.

7. Jan 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i should have done mine myself, but it was a present from my wife... .one of the first mods to my truck..... uhaul did it for about $125-$150.... but they did not set up the wiring harness, just the hitch.... i haven't used it yet, nor have i wired it up....

8. Jan 13, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I guess it depends on what you want to tow or how much you want to install yourself. I got the tow package with the truck since it came with a class IV hitch, oil cooler, brake controller harness, bigger battery, and bigger alternator without me installing a damn thing! :D

If you're planning on towing 3500lbs or less, any class III hitch and wire harness will do. If you want to tow up to the 6500lb capacity of the truck you'll need a class IV, oil cooler, and tranny cooler if it's an auto. Bigger battery and alt might help too if you want a trailer with electric brakes, lights, battery, etc.

I don't know if a dealer will install all the parts for the tow package for you or not, or how much it costs. Was that price for the hitch alone?

9. Jan 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    aaronb43

Member:
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Thanks for all of the good advice.

The $500 hitch is the price of a trailer hitch from Toyota Canada (new) ... same as the factory hitch on your TRD trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top