Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a HEAVY load with my taco

Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #21
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
haha! this is the second time we have had the Wench vs Winch conversation on this site. i think last time the consensus was that we would all rather have the Wench
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #22
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_NB View Post
He's hauling a '62 not a '51. Different truck entirely but 5200# still seems high. A 4x4, DC, long bed, automatic Tacoma is 4145#.
Yea your right angus the 62 and 51 are totally different....i'm going to double check the weight and check out that article you sent me. My mom read the weight off of the door panel ( i'm not currently located in the same place as the truck so i cannot look), but it is a massive truck...V8 and a 9ft bed.....and its solid steeel. But 5200 still seems high.

As for the WENCH i might just use a come-along....not sure what the capacities on those are...and i'm hopeing there is a good attachment on the trailer to connect the come-along to.

thanks for all the info guys!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #23
Angus_NB has a spectacular aura aboutAngus_NB has a spectacular aura aboutAngus_NB has a spectacular aura about

Angus_NB's Tacoma Gallery
I'll bet 5200# is the GVWR.

Here's an article that shows the weight of the 1960 Studebaker Champ truck at 3280# which is actually lighter than the weight of the '51 that phantom posted. It is a short bed but that's nearly a 2000# difference.
When you find out what it actually weighs let us know, I'm curious now

4.2L V8, 180 HP and 0-60 in 12.8 seconds!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #24
franimal is on a distinguished road

franimal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_NB View Post
Wench

Winch

I have never seen a wench on a U-Haul trailer but I'll keep looking.

HAHAHAHAHA good one
Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
franimal is on a distinguished road

franimal's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm so since my v6 4x4 came with a towing package can I use a uhaul trailer to tow my 2800lb car
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by franimal View Post
hmmm so since my v6 4x4 came with a towing package can I use a uhaul trailer to tow my 2800lb car
2800 lbs car + 2000 lbs trailer = 4800 lbs. Yes, it is below your max tow rating, but if you are planning on doing this on a regular basis, I would advice against continual use of a uhaul trailer as surge brakes are not the best, and uhaul anything is generally not in the best repair.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
2800 lbs car + 2000 lbs trailer = 4800 lbs. Yes, it is below your max tow rating, but if you are planning on doing this on a regular basis, I would advice against continual use of a uhaul trailer as surge brakes are not the best, and uhaul anything is generally not in the best repair.
no shit.... I moved from NY to SC with UHaul.... NEVER AGAIN!!!
  1. Auto transport developed a flat half an hour after picking it up. Had to back that and the 27' truck up to an air pump at a gas station to get home. Called Uhaul and had to wait for someone to show up the next day to fix (1 day behind schedule moving).
  2. Tread came off the auto transport driver side tires in Virgina. Lost another day waiting 3-4 hours for yet another repair man to show up with replacement. Had to wait longer while he went back to the shop for the RIGHT replacement rim since UHaul fucked up when telling him the lug pattern.
  3. Starter died on the truck in NC. Pulled off to eat dinner and came out to a truck that wouldn't start. Oh, and apparently I didn't have brake/tail lights either. Didn't know that until after we pulled off for dinner and gf told me. "Repair" man showed up relatively quickly (probably because we were LIVID with UHaul at this point ). He beats on the starter with a wrench, plugs 1 wire in under the dash to get lights working, and says "don't turn off the engine". Or to beat on the starter if we do. WTF!?! I see 2 things wrong here: A.) the fact the starter is CRAP -and- B.) ONE FUCKING WIRE controls the tail lights! I must have kicked it out with my foot. How messed up is that?
All said and done UHaul refunded us half the rental cost and reimbursed us for hotel and food for delaying us by 2 days. I've used their transports twice since then without problems, but they're always rusted, straps torn, etc. Needless to say I'm planning on getting my own trailer.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #28
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
the outcome!

well men i did it! Successful move of the studebaker with my taco! Here are pictures for all the advice-givers, nay-sayers, doubters, and supporters. Thanks again for all of your advice and comments

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2627398...7605018339951/
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #29
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice! Knew it could be done. Towed it like a champ, right?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #30
haha sure did
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #31
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a pretty easy load too......I should have no problems towing my car.....that is once I get a taco!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm156 View Post
That looks like a pretty easy load too......I should have no problems towing my car.....that is once I get a taco!
that truck was between 3200-3400lbs....so yea you could handle most cars i would think. The wheel base was pretty long on this truck though....only about 4 inches of play room at the back once i loaded it
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #33
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
Well my MINI Cooper will have no problems fitting that range at all!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
robinsonda1 is on a distinguished road
Army:
robinsonda1's Tacoma Gallery
I need to tow a bmw 330ci from San Antonio TX to Virginia but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea. Any input?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonda1 View Post
I need to tow a bmw 330ci from San Antonio TX to Virginia but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea. Any input?
how much does the car weigh? do you have the towing package?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #36
Army:
The car weighs about 3400 and the trailer (u-haul) about 2,000 and I do have the tow package.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
i thought bmw 330's were the smaller models? that seems like a heavy car. well the truck i towed in the picture weighed about the same and i used a uhaul trailer which was also 2000lbs. i only towed it about 150-170 miles but honestly i didn't even feel the truck behind me. I kept it between 3rd and 4th gears, definitely dont tow it in D. But i was on the highway and kept it in 4th most ofthe time. 3rd in the city and at lights where i needed more power. i think you would be just fine towing it that distance. there were times i almost forgot i was towing the truck and caught myself going upwards of 70 mph. But hten slowed down, mainly for gas mileage sake. I went 150 miles on only a 1/4 tank....i was kind of impressed by that...i thought i'd use more gas.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #38
Army:
I may be over estimating the weight of the car, it's not that big but you know these new cars are pack with all the safety and convenience features. I might try to find a lighter trailer, u-haul taold me my truck wasn't heavy enough to tow a car.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #39
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonda1 View Post
I may be over estimating the weight of the car, it's not that big but you know these new cars are pack with all the safety and convenience features. I might try to find a lighter trailer, u-haul taold me my truck wasn't heavy enough to tow a car.
I got the same shit... Was trying to haul a chevy lumina, and the truck was 30lbs lighter than the load after checking the door tag for weight of the truck. U-Haul's computer had the wrong weight of the truck. They let me go since it was only 30lbs, and we loaded up elsewhere.... Each time after that we just told them we were towing a ford festiva....
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #40
you have to go into the uhaul dealership and talk to them. also if you pick a place with employees that know a little more about trucks and trailers that helps to. i live in ft. lauderdale and i called about this towing setup and they said my truck couldnt pull it. so then i called the uhaul in gainesville florida, they are a little more country up there. so they knew i could pull it. the problem is that in the uhaul book they only have the stock tacoma without the towing package (with only a class 3 hitch). so they put the max pull weight we 4000. find ourself a more knowledgeable store and go in there and explain that you have the class 4 hitch and all the towing package stuff.

you could also do what someone above in this thread said....just tell them you are pulling geo metro or something