1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma tow package electrical connector question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Diggerdawg, May 9, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    Diggerdawg

Diggerdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well I finally took my brand new red double cab TRD Sport home last week and am loving it! It has the tow package, as I believe all the TRDs do.

Had a quick question. Is the electrical connector that is by the hitch the standard connector that most camping trailers will plug into? Specifically, I'm going to look at a 2004 Starcraft CK19 trailer and wondered if it would plug right in?

My step son thinks it didn't look like it would but he's used to smaller flat bed type trailers which I think use a 4 pin connector rather than the 7 pin?

Also, does $6,200 sound like a reasonable price for this trailer if its in great condition? Seemed good to me based on what I've seen. FYI I'm in NY in the Metro NYC suburban area.

Some of the guys on RV net thought it was not necessarily a great price.

Thanks,

David

2. May 10, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    d10k6

d10k6 Member

Member:
    Fredericton, NB
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport, Silver Streak
    For your wiring questions: Yes, it is the standard connector travel trailers use. The 4-pins is for the lights, 2 turn signals and ground. The 7-pin provides the same plus brakes, a 12V connection and reverse lights.

You can pick up a 4-pin to 7-pin converter cheaply so you can easily plug in the 4-pin connectors into your 7-pin

3. May 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Without seeing the Travel trailer, and just by going with what you've said in your post, I'd have to say the price is about average. Wouldn't call it great, but it's fair. The biggest question is: What condition is the trailer in? A 2 year old Travel trailer might be trashed with poor maintenance, or be in mint condition and a much better buy than paying new.

Either way, for 6000 it's a **Relatively** inexpensive endeavor should it turn out to just be ok.

And like the other guy said, the 7-pin factory tow is exactly what you'll need on any travel trailer with brakes.

4. May 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    My truck had the Tow Package which included the 7 pin adapter and wires for hooking up trailer brakes...you might check with your dealership. Both items were in the glove box when I purchased.

5. May 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The wiring is DOT. standard so every thing should work if it doesn't the trailer is wired wrong. Every thing is there battery charging wiring, all the signals, trailer break wiring (you should have a Toyota harness for the breaks in a plastic bag) and reverse lights. I just bought a 90 Sunline T1700 (17'10") dual axle trailer for $2500 so it sounds like a good price for the trailer.

6. May 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    Diggerdawg

Diggerdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks all for the advice. Going to check it out tomorrow and if we like it, will hopefully tow it home!

It sounds like its been very well maintained - I know all the stuff to look for having just sold an old 1988 Class C RV, so will check it out carefully.

Will post pix if we get it.

7. May 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Most trailers will use either the 4 pin flat connector with round pins in it or the larger 7 pin round connector with flat pins in it. There's others like round connector round pin in I think 6 or 7 pin but that's more for farm stuff and maybe semi trailers.

4 pin is just the lights, 7 pin is for lights, trailer brakes and charging for the trailer battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top