1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help: Towing Popup

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ccoorreeyy, May 17, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy [OP] www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    Hey TW.

Wifey and I are thinking about buying a popup trailer to camp with. I have found a popup that I'm seriously considering purchasing and I'm in need of some advise. I'm concerned that I may be pushing the limits of the truck. I have every intention of purchasing a new tacoma in the late fall of this year. For now, let's assume that I already have it, and it's a DCSB with 4wd (there's no other option I would want) with the factory tow package installed. Do you guys/gals think that I'll be able to safely tow this beast? I'm pretty sure that we'll get a ATV once we purchase this as well, so keep that in mind.

http://www.toppersrvs.com/inventory...ver-RV-Rockwood-High-Wall-Series-HW316TH.aspx

The model, in case the link breaks in the future, is a Rockwood High Wall Series HW316TH.

Thanks in advance peeps!

2. May 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    gjacobsjr

gjacobsjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma SR5 MagGrey on Black
    Black Raptor 16x8 Leer Shell Blacked out windows Pro Comp 3 in lift good year 265/75/16 Airaid CAI Cat Back 2 3/4 pipe with magnaflow and tip
    im curious my self subd

3. May 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be fine towing that popup. Do yourself a favor and tow it with the tanks empty till you get there. No need hauling the extra weight of water when it's usually available where you camp at.

edit: This is assuming you are talking about the V6. Like Jim said below about the airbags also. The factory springs are crap for hauling anything.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. May 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    V6 auto should have no problems, WD hitch would be something to consider as well as RideRites.

Not to rain on your parade but having had a pop up, I'll never have one again, seems like every time we used it the canvas was wet when we folded up requiring set up again when we got home. Have you gone through the set up and fold up process?

Just my thoughts, yours may differ.

5. May 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Should be fine with the tow package. Looks like the tongue could end up being pretty heavy depending on how big of an ATV you're going to get so a W/D hitch might be a nice addition.

6. May 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    97widerider

97widerider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    I enjoy my popup that I pull with my Toyota 02 4 cylinder. (1400 pds dry weight though). Yes if it gets rain you have to pop it up to dry out when you get home (if you couldn't at camp) but it is worth all the work. Never store long term when wet or even damp. Join popupportal.com if you are thinking about getting one. Great place to meet potential owners and experienced popup campers the same. Enjoy!

Products Discussed in

To Top