1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 Towing capacity

Discussion in 'Towing' started by cshep, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dec 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    cshep

cshep [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    I'm trying to determine how much I can safely pull. I've see lots in the forum regarding v6's with the towing package but very little for when they don't have it. My vehicles's GVWR=2472kg (5438.4 lbs) which I got the driver's side door. My manual basically breaks towing capacity down into those with the package (6500lbs) and those without (3500lbs). Does this really mean my truck has the same towing capacity of the 4 cyl 4x2 or am I missing something. I would think the v6 could pull more but not as much as the model with the towing package. I'm a carpenter and have carried a number of tools (200lbs) in the back. It seems my springs are getting tired so I may have to add another leaf to the springs. I was thinking of just getting a smaller 6 x10 cargo trailer and emptying the bed but I'm not sure if this is possible. Not looking to tow long distances just from site to site in the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ches

2. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    The towing package adds more than just a receiver. It also adds a larger battery, enhanced alternator, transmission and engine oil coolers, and suspension enhancements if I'm not mistaken. Your engine could probably handle more than 3500# but not for long distances.

3. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    cshep

cshep [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    Thanks Rob. I thought I read somewhere that it was cable of pulling closer to 5000 lbs without the towing package but I can't seem to verify this anywhere. I'm looking at a commute of <20 miles daily.

4. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Install a 7-way plug if you don't already have one, put electric brakes on the trailer and you should be fine IMO.

5. Dec 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    printman2000

printman2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amarillo, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    What is the purpose of a larger battery? Recently replaced mine and do not remember towing package as an option for battery size.

6. Dec 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Don't really know why they put a larger battery in there. (For surge in electrical demand when you apply the brakes, maybe.) But Toyota thinks it's necessary, so it must be so.:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top