1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

swiched power for under dash leds

Discussion in 'Truck Alterations' started by judge, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    judge

judge [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner Trd of road
    Set up both 12v outlets in cab to be on constant, Added two 12v outlets in bed & connected them to the battery through a 10 amp fuse.Added DRLs Great option. Then changed the fog lights to come on at any time the key is on.Also added leds to the glove box and arm rest box. Installed leds in my doors to come on with the dome light & leds under dash to light floor.
    looking for power for leds under dash to light up floor when doors are opened. Thanks for any help:)

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Use a relay and hook it up to the dome light. But I'm sure you could hook it to the door sensor.

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    judge

judge [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner Trd of road
    Set up both 12v outlets in cab to be on constant, Added two 12v outlets in bed & connected them to the battery through a 10 amp fuse.Added DRLs Great option. Then changed the fog lights to come on at any time the key is on.Also added leds to the glove box and arm rest box. Installed leds in my doors to come on with the dome light & leds under dash to light floor.
    I was trying to connect at door jam or under dash Thanks
    Thanks for all the help out there. I tied into the dome light & connected (2) Oznium leds under the dash bright white (1) in each of the front doors to light up the ground when the door is opened & (1) in the rear of the console for the rear seat. also added (1) in the glove box connected it to a switch from radio shack this is to power all the time now I can see in the clove box. Then ran the same power to a switch in the console so when the cover is opened it turns on a short strip of of leds note the swiches are momentary open when pressed. Thanks for all the info & ideas.

4. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    behind the change drawer there is a harness with a white with green stripe 10g wire it is switched power. it isn't wrapped too tight and if you gently pull it you can get some slack. do not cut this wire! splice into it. solder would be best( pro version) but you could also strip about a 1" section split the strands stick your new wire between the strands twist it tight and put a zip tie around it then tape it up(backwoods version)
    i wanna see your leds when your done!

5. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  6. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    yup im a d-bag i guess i should read the post before responding my procedure was for accesory power(on with key)

i would also like to know a door switched power source under the dash!

7. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    whos got a 2nd gen fsm? find the wire color for us.
    were looking for the door jam switch wires

8. May 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I installed blue leds in my door panel so when its open, people passing me can see that the door is open and avoid crashing into it. They draw such little power that I tapped into the wire for the stock under dash light that comes on when doors are open. Another more complicated way would be to run wires to the dome light and hook it up there.

Unfortunately my Black 2010 TRD Sport L/B is still on order, so I haven't gotten a chance to play around.

Good Luck with you LED's though. They are generally really easy to use and always look good. I usually buy mine off ebay from some guy in japan. they come pre-wired and with a resistor already attached. Makes it realllyyy easy.

-Josh

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. May 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    judge

judge [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner Trd of road
    Thanks for the info. I finished the install a week or two ago. Useing the dome light circut the leds in the doors are facing down to the ground so they will light up the ground when the door is opened to check for puddles or mud & the two under the dash light the floor. I also added a led in the cup holders (blue) I may change to amber the blue does not help out the night vison) that is controled by the dimmer to the dash lights with a switch to shut them off when not used.& installed a led in the glove box and center console both controled by seprate swiches on the doors to each. Thanks for your info ill be thinking on the door ones facing to the rear. just in case you need more leds oznium.com has a lot to pick from & good service. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I have Blue LED's under my dash, check out my gallery. They are plugged into the ciggarete lighter and I just turn them off when the sun comes up, and flip the switch back when I know it will be dark when I get back into my truck. I have them on while I drive as their soo subtle they don't distract me but give my passenger some light and light up my floor board really well.

11. May 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Forgot to mention in my previous post that the LEDs were in my Chevy BlaZeR2.

Just picked up my Tacoma last night though and it is awesome!!! Cant wait to do all the mods i've been reading about for the last few weeks.

I now see the complication with the LEDs in the door as there is no light in the under dash area. It sounds like you did an awesome job though and if you have any pictures or advice please post it because I will soon be doing the same to my truck.

Thanks!

-Josh

12. May 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    judge

judge [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner Trd of road
    Hi josh,
    Thanks for the questons. I do have some photos but i cant send right now i am out of town for 12-14 days & do not have access to them but i will.
    Note most ov the info came from this site! It was fun & planning I started small & added I should have planned better soldering & useing shrink tubeing is part of the key to a good job. You also should check out the site on how to remove panels with out damage to them. A panel can cost more than you think. I used oznium leds in my truck and there site gives a lot of info on installs i used the 4 led on a chip under the dash and under the doors and rear of the consol to light up the back floor bright white is my choice. The cup holders I used blue 4 led on a chip and tied these into my dash lights so they could be dimed but to me they are to bright so i added a resistor to cut the current down. The blue looks great with water bottles in the cup holders I added a switch to be able to shut these off. Note I will be changeing the blue to amber for better night vision & if I did not drill the larger holes I would have use the 5mm super bright instead. Buy & check them for your self to see what would fill your needs
    Hope this helps :cool: Phil

Products Discussed in

To Top