1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deaver U402 Stage reccomendations

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Watermallon, May 15, 2022.

1. May 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM
    Watermallon

Watermallon [OP] ID Tacooo

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    What’s up everyone. Wanting a new leaf pack and boiled it down to Deaver U402.

Just for reference I have a ‘06 Access cab with sliders and I keep a box of gear weighing roughly 120lbs in the back at all times. Eventually I plan on adding a tube style rear bumper.

My goal with this truck is to comfortably hit stuff at speeds but also the occasional camping/trail riding trip. Basically just an all arounder. I may have to carry my motorcycle or random stuff (couch, shelf, whatever).

Anyways enough rambling, I was thinking stage 1 for the leaf pack considering the constant weight will be under 300lbs. But will stage 1 be okay say if my wife and I sleep in the back on camping trips and the occasional times of carrying heavy loads? Will that prematurely wear out the leafs?

2. May 15, 2022 at 2:26 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    check out static versus dynamic weight ratings.

If you occasionally need to carry a motorcycle, id get the higher rated leafs - stage 2. If you go over the weight ratings for the leafs, it wont prematurely wear them out. If contstantly, then most likely.

3. May 15, 2022 at 4:29 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Having had both stage 1 and stage 2, I can say with confidence, get the stage 1's.

Edit: Here is a reply/justification that I gave to another member with the same question.

Short answer:

The Deavers are "designed" to provide 2" of lift when ran with the proper amount of weight. If you run them light, such as running a stock truck with stage 2's, in order to gain 3" of lift, you'll run into issues. These will include, a rough ride, drive live vibrations, and bottoming out your shocks aggressively. If you want 3" of lift, you should order a leaf pack designed to give you 3".

Long story:

I ordered my stage 1 leaf pack from Wheelers Offroad. When it arrived, it was labeled "stage 2". I emailed Wheelers, and they assured me, it was a stage 1. They suggested that Deavers probably modified a stage 2, by removing a leaf, to make it a stage 1. I took their word and installed the pack.

I was shocked and disappointed to get a 3" lift, but figured it would settle.The ride was very harsh, compared to what I expected. Not unbearable, but harsh. When I hit a speed bump minorly fast, the rear end would hop, andyou could hear the leafs slam the shock downward. I also had a terrible driveline vibration.

I adjusted my front coilovers, and took it in for an alignment. Drove it for a week, and then added 300 lbs of sand bags in the back, in a hope to speed up the break in. I also added a carrier bearing drop. The drop helped the vibration a little, but it was definitely still there. I tried 1/2, then 3/4, then 1/4 carrier bearing spacers, all with minor improvements.

After the third week of driving on them, with little improvement in ride quality, I finally emailed Deaver directly. I explained the harsh ride, vibrations and asked if they were stage 1 or 2. I got slightly brushed off, with a "if you ordered a stage 1, then it's a stage 1". I replied "ok, I'm just concerned it's a stage 2, because its labeled 'stage 2'". He replied quickly, saying that it was definitely a stage 2, they made an error in shipping the wrong set and a new stage 1 would be shipped immediately. He also said that yes, they used to convert packs, but it became too common, and they no longer do that.

The stage 1's arrived quickly (3 days later) and I installed them that weekend. Man! What a difference. The stage 1's were silky smooth, the vibrations were gone, and I could blast over speed bumps with no issue.

The end result, I believe you should only run the leafs at their designed load. If you run them light, expect issues. I'd rather run them as designed, and have an occasional heavy load. The overload springs should account for this.

Also, if you want 3", I'd recommend working with Deaver to design a custom pack. They'll base it off the U402, but can add or change leafs to achieve the desired lift and load. If you want, I can send the Deaver contact that I worked with. He was very helpful, once he realized I wasn't wasting his time.

Let me know if you have other questions, or if I missed anything.

Good luck!

TVH475, KingTaco81, Saskabush and 5 others like this.
  4. May 15, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    Watermallon

Watermallon [OP] ID Tacooo

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    I really appreciate the write up man! You’re probably right about rather running them at the designed load with the occasional heavy load. I’m certainley not looking to gain 3” of lift so I think stage 1 will be perfect.

KingTaco81 and Bertw192[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:50 PM
    Odysseus216

Odysseus216 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB (Quicksand)
    How was the ride with the 300 pounds of sand in the back?

I have stage 2 but I’m at stock weight. I got stage 2 because I have plans down the road. I intended to have around 400 pounds of sand until then (could be a couple of years).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  6. Nov 17, 2022 at 10:33 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    It made very little difference.

7. Mar 27, 2023 at 11:22 AM
    btot588

btot588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS 4x4, 2001 4runner
    Softopper, led bed and hood lights, rigid ditch lights, blue sea fuse block, wet okoles, weather tech floor mats and window shades, and more...
    My 2cents are a bit late but figured it may be helpful for someone researching in the future. I ordered stage 2 leafs on my dcsb. I have about 250lbs constant weight(leer shell with rack, sliders and tools). I had 3" lift and some vibes. This weekend I removed leafs 2 and 5, counting from the bottom, and it lowered it 1". Vibes are gone and ride is much better. Still a little stiff with plenty of flex and travel in my coilovers. I guess my point is that if you're stuck with stage 2 don't be afraid to remove a couple of leafs from the pack. Time will tell if there are any long term effects

E_niks, Thunderball and Bertw192 like this.
  8. Apr 27, 2024 at 2:23 AM
    E_niks

E_niks New Member

Member:
    Were there any long term affects? I’m in the same boat

9. Apr 27, 2024 at 3:40 AM
    btot588

btot588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS 4x4, 2001 4runner
    Softopper, led bed and hood lights, rigid ditch lights, blue sea fuse block, wet okoles, weather tech floor mats and window shades, and more...
    Haven't had any issues yet. Been over a year now

Products Discussed in

To Top