1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benson X, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Jun 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    You shouldn't have any problem with that switch. I found many answers to my questions in this original thread (El Cheapo Heated Mirrors: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/15958-el-cheapo-heated-mirrors.html)

Also, CtryBoyInMT's wiring diagram should help:
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    where i can purchasing the 5 pin plug for the OEM heat mirror switch?

Also where i can get the timer?

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Everything you need is in the OP, just click the blue part # (or write it down and go to your dealer to get it). The switch has a built-in timer.

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    I still have an unused plug, with the leads and pin connecters soldered onto the leads.
    (I couldn't use the one I bought because all my plug spaces are filled up with other stuff, so I used a switch without a relay.)
    If you're interested, PM me. I'll be cheaper than the interwebs.

Its the same OEM part # as recommended in the first page. My understanding is that the timer is in the OEM switch, which I also have, if you're interested.

Edit: Sold it all

5. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Nice write up!

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    subscribe for future mod :thumbsup:

7. Sep 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Sigo

Sigo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So, I've checked my wiring so many times it isn't funny. I can't get this working to save my life. I believe I've got it all connected correctly but can't get the swith to work. The switch lights up with the headlights on and the dimmer works without issue. Pin three on the switch has a good ground.

With the relay connected, and the switch disconnected, I'm seeing 12V on both pins 4 and 5 that connects to the switch. Is that right? If not, what would cause that?

With the switch connected and the relay disconnected I see 12V at pin 5 on the switch. I also see 12V on pin 4 at the relay pig tail. I've tried several relays (AGT 30/40A 12V SPDT). I'm racking my brain here. Any advice would be appreciated.

8. Sep 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    WheelinJ91

WheelinJ91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    Nice Job, I must do this to my 12' no mirror defrost was one of probably only 3-4 things i dont like about my truck.

Sub'd for later

Edit: Wonder if the mirrors will work on a 2012 Tacoma?

9. Sep 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    On the relay: do you have Terminal 85 connected to Pin 4 on the switch plug? You shouldn't be reading 12v on pin 4 of switch or 85 on the relay.

10. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    Sigo

Sigo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Pin 4 is a single straight shot to 85 on the relay. No other wires tapped in, etc.

11. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    It sounds like you've got it wired up right. Just to confirm, the switch lights up when pressed and dims with the dimmer switch, but you've got no heat at the mirrors?

I know you've checked the circuit already, but just to be sure:

On the switch:

Pins 1&2 go directly to the illumination wires
    Pin 3 is ground
    pin 4 goes to 85 on the relay
    pin 5 goes to relay 86 & 30, and also taps into the fuse-tap

Both mirrors are grounded separately with the POS spliced together and run to 87 on the relay. 87a (middle terminal) is not used on the SPDT relay.

It could just be a bad switch too :notsure:

Another member was having timer issues and it turned out to be the switch.

12. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Sigo

Sigo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So yes. I looked at it again with fresh eyes this morning. Everything is wired as describe. There shouldn't be a strictly POS or NEG on the mirror leads... Right?
    Still getting 12V on pin 4 at the switch with the relay plugged in and on 85 with the switch plugged in. If I take both the relay and switch out of the circuit I don't get the 12V readig on pin 4 or 85. Other info: with the relay out, on the relay itself I get continuity between 30 and 87a (I do understand this isn't used and I removed the wire from the pigtail) but no other pin combination. With the switch out, on the switch pins I get continuity between 4 and 5 both when the switch is presses or not - no continuity between any other pin combination.
    Continuity checked good on all wire runs. So just to be clear, pin 5, 86 and 30 should all be connected to the wire tap... correct?
    Given this, any ideas? I'm having a hard time blaming the switch because I get the 12V on both 4 and 85 no matter which I eliminate from the equation.

13. Sep 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Sigo

Sigo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Just a little more info. If I unplug the switch and relay and jumper between 30 and 87 on the relay both mirrors warm up. Looks like I'm gettin about .012A when the circuit is hot (live). I'm using a 15A fuse In the tap-a-fuse connected into the gauges slot. Oh, and I've tried a couple of different grounding locations.

14. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Damn Bruce, sorry this has been so frustrating. I hope you can figure it out, this mod has been done successfully by quite a few people now.

I connected 86 & 30 using a quick-splice and ran the 86 lead all the way to Pin 5. I then connected the fuse-tap to the same 86 lead using another quick-splice.

On the mirrors, it doesn't matter which terminal is pos/neg but I wired it the same way on both sides.

You say you've tried numerous relays, and gotten the same results?

Have you tried a smaller fuse (≤10amps)?

Sorry if this isn't helping, but it can be difficult to troubleshoot without seeing it in person. I didn't experience any issues, so I didn't really have to diagnose any different problems. I am in no way an electrical expert, but I can try to help as much as possible, or maybe other members can chime-in if they have suggestions.

15. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Do u have the jumper between 30 & 86?

16. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Any progress/luck yet Bruce?

17. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    Sigo

Sigo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for all of the input. CtryBoyinMT has been helping me along through PMs. I've diagnosed this as a bad switch and am returning it. Once I get my replacement I think things will be OK. I've isolated and checked every cable, component, etc so I'm pretty confident it's the switch. I'll report back with my findings once I replace the switch.

18. Oct 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
  19. Oct 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Cool, I hope that it's something simple like a bad switch. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I'm glad CtryBoy was able to lend some guidance too. Good luck, and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Sweet! Good job on incorporating this into the towing mirrors! Did you encounter any issues with the wires getting pulled when the mirrors rotate?

I will have to let my dad know about those mirrors when they are available. I was gonna help him with the heated mirrors, but he will probably opt for the towing mirrors too once I tell him about 'em.

20. Oct 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    No problem at all. These are complete new set of mirrors that you take off the factory set and bolt these right on. The '12's will have the LED's plug right in but older models like my '09 you need to tap into for the lights. The wiring for the heated mirrors is the same as these no matter the year.
    Thanks for yours and some other peoples threads to help wire them up.

To Top