1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OTRATTW Wiring help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zollars, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jun 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    Zollars

Zollars [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod
    Just got my switches, and have a couple questions before I get them all wired in. Below is the switch layout I am working with:

I have #'s 8, 2, and 3 down and know where/how to wire them in.

Question 1:

on #6, where is the best spot to splice into the dash lighting circuit? Also, Do i just need one wire here for power that will also handle dimming via the stock dimmer switch? (switches are below HVAC controls on my IggyCorp panel)

Question 2:

on #7, can i jumper the ground from #8, or will i need to ground this to the dash light circuit to be able to utilize the stock dimmer switch?

Question 3:

I am also wiring in multiple switches, so if my thinking is correct, I can jumper each wire to the corresponding # on the second, third, etc switches? ( Example: Switch 1, #8 jumpered to Switch 2 #8, etc)

If anyone has any additional advice or ideas feel free to throw them in!

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Jun 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.
    depends where your switch is going to be, I put mine in the blank next to the fog so I just spliced into the fog switch. May be a different story since your location is different.
    Answer number 2, I just jumpered mine and I'm not sure how to answer number 3 haha but if toe theory is correct sign me up! That's an awesome idea!

3. Jun 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Suspension: 5100 Billstein Front Shocks Rear AAL 3" lift Engine Bay/Engine: Under-Hood LED lighting Hood QuickLift Elite Hood Struts - Redline Tuning Exterior Additions/Mods: Front Steel Skid plate Front Bumper Light Bar - NFab Bed Cap System: Steal Bedside and Tailgate Caps - KBVoodoo Fabrications 2x US Flag Vinyl Decals Under Mirrors - Far North By Design Exterior Lighting/Electrical: Retrofit Headlights - Ambiguous Fog Light Relay Mod (Fogs On With High Beams) - Thanks To Ostrichsak Depo Taillights 50" 4D Curved Trac Performance LED Light Bar - SLX Motorsports 4x Spot Fog Lights on NFab bar Full Exterior LED Bulb Swap - CSJumper LEDs Interior Additions/mods: CVRV Mirror Riser - BirdDawg Industries Pioneer 8100NEX Head unit Interior 6 Switch Panel - IggyCorp Interior Lighting/Electrical: Backlit 4x4 Switch Mod - RCBS204 Otrattw Switches On IggyCorp Panel For Accessories Dome Light on With Open Door Mod

Because I am not replacing a stock switch, nor installing near an active switch, I have to run wires to other sources.

It should work fine, just jumper everything except #2 or #3, as they are specific to the device controlled by the switch

4. Jun 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Here's what I'm thinking:

#6 and #7 to the HVAC wiring harness, allowing for the lights to be dimmable like how i spliced in my LED 4x4 switch.

I just don't know how comfortable I feel about having all my switch lights running off that HVAC harness

5. Jun 10, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Unless I can jumper #7 and #8, and run #6 to the illumination circut, providing power and dimming ability

6. Jun 10, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.
    That's exactly what I did, I should have been more specific but I jumpered 7 and 8 than tapped 6 into my fog light harness to illuminate my switch. If that makes sense. But in your case like you said run 6 else where

7. Jun 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Hmmm so jumper 7 and 8, and tap 6 into my HVAC harness on the same position (+) wire my 4x4 switch is tapped into

Just worried about putting tooany switches on that harness, not sure what it could cause in terms of negative effects

8. Jun 10, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    Ya I'm not sure about that, I'm surprised more people haven't jumped in to help. Cause I'm not super savvy on electrical stuff, there's some who are. I'll keep bumping this to see if we can get ya some good help

9. Jun 10, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    Appreciate it!

10. Jun 10, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
  11. Jun 11, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Jun 11, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    chenbro

chenbro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver DCSB TRD OR
    What haven’t I changed?
    The switches are illuminated by low-power LED's, so you can wire all the #6's together. If you're concerned about power, then use a bigger gauge of wire, like 18 or 16 or even 14 AWG, and you can use an add-a-circuit to tap into the dash circuit in the in-dash fuse box behind the coin tray to the left of the steering wheel.

If you're going to wire each switch to its own relay, you can even wire all the #2's together to either constant 12V or switched 12V (accessory power)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Jun 11, 2015 at 10:24 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4

If I jumper all the #2's, I would need a larger fuse correct?

I need an alternate fuse panel.... I don't like running multiple wires direct to my battery...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  14. Jun 11, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    chenbro

chenbro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver DCSB TRD OR
    What haven’t I changed?
    You would only need a bigger fuse (and wire) if you were going to power devices directly through the switches (the switch provides power to the device when on). Technically, you would need a relay when the power rating of the device exceeds the rating of the switch. I think the OTRATTW switches are rated up to 20A? Your light bar will exceed that so a relay will be needed.

Relays by themselves don't make something switchable, but they do act like a switch that can be controlled by another switch. It's a device that allows a low-power circuit to be isolated from yet able to control a high-power circuit. The way they're typically wired, the relay allows the device to draw power directly from the battery when your switch sends power to the relay's control circuit. If your switch is powered by 12V constant, your accessory will turn on whether the truck is running or not, and if the switch is powered by 12V switched, it will only turn on if the truck is on.

15. Jun 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    So where should I run power from to the switch so it only comes on when the truck is on?

16. Jun 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    Use an add-a-fuse on one of tthe fuses behind your coin tray that only comes on when the truck is on.

17. Jun 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    chenbro

chenbro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver DCSB TRD OR
    What haven’t I changed?
  18. Jun 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    Didn't read all of that but, if you don't care if the switches dim or not its much easier. For example I have mine wired where anytime the key is on the bottom lights up, its not to bright at night i don't really see the point in needing it to dim. This also means you can splice all #6s together and also all 7s and 8s.

19. Jun 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    I have all of my OTRATTW switches illumination pos and neg tapped into my AC dimming wires. Your lower light neg 7 needs to be tapped into your acc dimming neg to dim, if I recall. If you jump it off of a regular ground then it will not dim. If you are just triggering relays like mine are then you canc jump all of your 2''s together. The relay uses barely any current to trigger it.

20. Jun 12, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    Zollars

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4x4
    So you have the #6 Lower light Pos (+) running to the Pos (+) in your HVAC harness

Do you have both the upper and lower light Neg (-) going to the Neg (-) in the HVAC harness to control dimming of both lights?

OR

Do I just need to run the #7 lower light Neg (-) to the HVAC Neg (-) to be able to dim both upper and lower lights?

I don't need both lights to be dimmable, just curious.
    Pretty sure I am going to run #8 to ground somewhere near the panel, and #6 to HVAC harness Neg (-)

Products Discussed in

To Top