1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01-04 Frame Rust Recall

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Silver04Tacoma, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    Silver04Tacoma

Silver04Tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Doublecab 4WD
    Front end skid plate & bug deflector, class IV trailer hitch, Rhino Liner, Access tonneau cover
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this place and own a 2004 Tacoma double cab. I'm bringing it in to the dealer next week to have the frame inspected. They told me over the phone that they're pretty confident they can clean it up and apply the corrosion protectant.
    Do you think that's sufficient considering the structural integrity of the frame may already be compromised after driving it for 6 years in harsh winter weather? I'm wondering if I should fight for my right to get a new frame considering the recall entitles me to it. However, is that worth the trouble to have the entire truck taken apart and having it re-assembled? Have any of you guys with new frames noticed any troubles or complications as a result of a new frame?
    I love this truck and hope to keep it for several years to come, so any kind of input is appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_1519.jpg

2. May 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    TacoMike

TacoMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '19 SR AC Utility 4x4
    I didn't think mine would fail but it did. It's an '04 as well. It's still waiting to be worked on. It's been 2 1/2 weeks now. They have a lot of trucks to do. Ask if you can watch the inspection. Your dealer sounds a little eager to say he can clean it up without even looking at it. Even if it doesn't fail it still might a year or two down the road. It may be worth hanging on to. I'll tell you how it turns out when I get it.

3. Jun 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    i just got my recall papers in the mail last week. I go through the inspection tonight... we will see if i need to get something done or not to my 2001

4. Nov 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    doosanconsultant

doosanconsultant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 02
    Can anyone let me know clearly if there was a recall on the 02 tacomas and if there was any extended warranty. I know this is old topic but I just became aware of it and now have a vehicle toyota refuses to correct or make any consideration. Any recourse
    thanks

5. Nov 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    The deadline for this past last year. Sorry.

6. Nov 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    You can still get your frame replaced if it was treated by Toyota prior to last Jan.1st. Mine was replaced last April. I have a 2003 Tacoma.

7. Nov 15, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    If it makes you feel any better my 96 had 250k on it when I bought it and it took quite a bit of whaling on it with a pick hammer to punch through it. It had passed the initial Toyota inspection in 2008 and continued to pass state inspection . Had I not bothered to pursue it further I'm sure it would have passed for a few more years to come. I had one hole about 1"x2" and another one about an inch wide and 14-15 inches long. The small one was on the bottom of the passenger framerail next to the cat and the other one was on the inside rail next to the muffler. The rest of it was rock solid. I welded some 1/8" plate over the areas and spent about $200 on internal and external frame coatings from eastwood. Then 2 weeks later I sprayed the inside of the frame with oil. My father's 98 with 186k (that I bought new) was bought back from Toyota for frame rust last year and it had a hole in it about the size of a dime. He's got an 02 now that's been coated by toyota. It's pretty rugged stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top