1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01 Taco 4 door 3.4 V6 shortbed 4x4, bent frame...what other frames will match up?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Squirrel Man, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Feb 11, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    Squirrel Man

Squirrel Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Four Door Short Bed Build
    Entire new front end at this point until I find a frame solution.
    I bought a 2001 Taco four door short bed 4x4 3.4 V6 that had an airbag deployed in steering column due to front impact on frame post with tree at low speed. Bent the frame just a hair. I have replaced everything on the front end, airbags and airbag modules included, and my motor and trans work great. BUT I need to swap the body, motor/trans/drivetrain onto a new un-bent frame. I'm keeping rears and all gears and hubs the same if possible.

I've been having a hard time finding a good frame from a four door, but I measured the extended cab regular bed frames and I'm pretty sure they match up the same with the extra cab just accounting for the loss of the length in bed.

Found a few nice four door short bed 2wd frames for cheap, but not sure they will match up or what all I'll need to modify.

Found a Pre-Runner 4door shortbed that had a 2.7 in it. Motor mounts different on those? Anything else different? WILL THIS WORK? NEED TO KNOW ASAP!! PLEASE

ANY help or cross reference info would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Feb 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Why not just get it straightened? All my trucks were previous wrecks and all had to have the frames straightened. Any good frame shop should be able to bring it back straight.

Is the bend greater than this truck's? Its my daily driver. I'd drive it to the west coast if I needed to.

To have this one straightened, it cost me $500. It was a pretty bad frame bend. Yours sounds like a gravy job for a frame shop.

IMAG0250.jpg

3. Feb 11, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    the 01-04 4-door was only available in PreRunner/4wd so the frames would work. motor mounts I am not sure but I assume would be different for I4/V6.

The XC frame is the same length but mounting points for cab/bed are different, otherwise everything "under" the frame is the same

but like @koditten said it may be cheaper to just have the frame straightened if it's "just a hair" :D

Products Discussed in

To Top