1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'04 2.4 throwing codes p0300 - 0304

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 46015, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM

46015 [OP] New Member

Member:
    We put a new head on my dad's '04 2.4 Tacoma with around 200k on it. It starts up and seems to run OK at higher revs and when he drove it around the block, but it idles very rough and eventually cuts out. As said in the title it threw codes P0300 301 302 303 and 304. from what I gather 300 is a multi cylinder misfire, and the rest are misfires for the individual cylinders.

Does anyone have any experience with these particular issues? Could this be caused by having the timing slightly off? or simply a wire connection that may have been overlooked?

for what it's worth, at some point when we were taking the head off the knock sensor wire got pulled out of the connector, to fix this we spliced a new connector on the wire. Could this potentially cause misfires without throwing a knock sensor code?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    Check your vacuum lines for leaks

3. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Yes - it's conceivable the wire splicing screwed up the ability of the ECM to read the (voltage-based) knock sensor signal correctly (in terms of line voltage or waveform).

It's also conceivable that the knock sensor itself is messed up somehow from having the wire jerked out of it, and the ECM is getting a 'bad' reading.

You'd get a code (e.g., P0325) if the knock sensor signal was totally 'dead'. It appears your ECM is getting a knock sensor signal, but the ECM may be having trouble 'making sense of it'.

The ECM retards timing in response to a knock indication from the sensor, so a screwy sensor reading could easily result in timing (and hence misfire) issues.

NOTE: I'm not saying this is the only possible cause. But since you mentioned the sensor wiring issue it seems to me that's the logical place to start.

4. Jan 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    from my experiences on this it's more than likely you timing chain is not on correctly. Had this happen on a Civic and it threw all sorts of 300 codes and I tried everything until I took the cover off and noticed I had somehow jumped 2 teeth. Also while replacing the timing belt on a 2000 Avalon.

5. Jan 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

46015 [OP] New Member

Member:
    IIRC, after drivign it to work for a few days and reseting the trouble code a few times, the symptons gradually went away. it stopped throwing codes and he got it smogged.

My guess is that the wire we spliced had to settle in or something.

I think the only problem he had now is an unrelated exhaust rattle.

Products Discussed in

To Top