1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 DC sub options?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by REDNICK, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    REDNICK

REDNICK [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD DC V6 4x4
    5k Switchback LED foglight mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust, UWS Diamond-Plated toolbox, Hella 500's, bull bar, DARK 5% tinted windows, Pacer Rims, K&N Air Filter, Line-X bedliner, Cobra CB Radio/PA System, VVME 35w 4300k HIDs, camo seat covers
    Any experience or suggestions for a single 8" or 10" sub that will fit in my 04 DC and a good head unit? I'd prefer the sub fit behind my rear bench seat if possible. Currently I'm thinking about building my own box (that will fit behind bench seat) and using a Pioneer TS-SW841D 8" slim sub. Or just buy the Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure and place it on the floor behind my passenger seat. I'm looking for the best bass I can get considering the limited space in the truck and I'm not going to set a 12" sub on my back seat...

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I would suggest looking into the Rockford P1 or P3, both fit behind the rear seats if you remove the plastics.

If you want more bass Sundown's subs are pretty awesome. Require about 500 watts to get them moving good but its worth it.

I have a 12" sub behind my rear seats and its a great SQ sub. In a ported box its really nice. Alpine Type R shallow mount.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    My friend has a 2003 tacoma double cab and he has 1 x 10inch and he got a custom box made to go behind his rear seat. The subwoofer is a "shallow" sub its a pioneer and the amp is an 800w rockford.

4. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
  5. Oct 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'm very happy with my 10" JL Audio sub that sits behind the rear bench in my double cab. My truck is a second gen so I can't really share any experience on a box. If you're not totally set on building your own box, you might consider contacting another member on here that runs a business doing audio stuff and making custom boxes. I'm sure he's already done what you're looking to do. Here's his contact info:

Mr Marv
    Marv's Place Custom Built Enclosures/amp racks/speaker adapters etc
    1-831-383-0308

6. Oct 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    REDNICK

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD DC V6 4x4
    5k Switchback LED foglight mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust, UWS Diamond-Plated toolbox, Hella 500's, bull bar, DARK 5% tinted windows, Pacer Rims, K&N Air Filter, Line-X bedliner, Cobra CB Radio/PA System, VVME 35w 4300k HIDs, camo seat covers
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Riverdog: I just sent Marv an email, if no response I will try calling him later.

95 taco: I looked into those boxless/powered subs but I don't think they will produce enough bass to satisfy my needs... I could be wrong about how well they perform but I'd rather have more bass than I really need rather than be disappointed.

I just decided that I really want to go with a touchscreen double din head unit! I have an iPhone and I'd really like to be able to use that to play music, navigation, etc from my phone to the stereo. Bluetooth capability would be great but not a requirement. Really quick I found these two double dins that caught my attention: Pioneer AVHX1500 DVD In-Dash 6.1 Touchscreen and a Kenwood DDX370 Double Din.

Any suggestions on what head unit to go with? The factory head unit is placed fairly low down on the truck, will this make a touch screen hard to see/use?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to the audio world and I'm sure you guys have a lot more experience than me!

7. Oct 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    REDNICK

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD DC V6 4x4
    Just checked out the Rockford Fosgate P3S-1x8, 1x10, and 1x12 subwoofers. They all look great! Do you know if that 1x12 will fit back there? I'd like to get either the 10" or 12", but I'm not sure which one would sound better. If I go with one of these subs I'm going to also buy the "Black Steel Mesh Woofer Grille" just for some added security knowing they are protected.

8. Oct 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Its best to call Mr Marv. he is a busy guy and has hundreds of emails/pms a day.

Also, check my build link and the install of audio system link in my signature.
    I build a box for a IDQ 10" sub, runs 500w and sounds dope.
    DEH-80PRS for a head unit if you dont care about double dins, or a pioneer x3500/4500/5500/8500 if you like the touch screens.

9. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    bk808

bk808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kaneohe,HI.
    OME lift,882's,10mm top plates,Dakars w/dx6l,ss extended brake lines, LR uca's, poly bushings thru out, PC'd Tundra rims,285-70-17 Goodyear AT's,TG weld on sliders,TG rear bumper,deck plate mod,AFE pro dry filter,Airaid M.I.T., Grillcraft insert,Celica bucket seats,Wet Okole covers,Husky floor mats,Ultragauge,Hi lift jack,LED's on all lights in and out.
    Very limited space behind the rear seat in 01-04 DC's. I have seen 2- eights,
    a single-10 (which is what i would like to run) but for now i just have a 8"
    bazooka behind the drivers seat:notsure:... still looking.
    I have a Kenwood ddx 719 double din and it has adjustable screen angle setting,so it works well for me. :D

10. Dec 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Cadams02

Cadams02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Griffin, Ga
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    your not really going to be able to fit much behind the seat. i have an 02 double cab and didnt really like the options of subs you could but behind the seat. i decided to build a box that acts like an arm rest for the back seat. i have a jl 8w7. also i have the pioneer avh-2500bht and i love that thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top