1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Tundra Double Cab to an 07 Tacoma Extended cab 2X4 and Love it

Discussion in 'New Members' started by kubotab17, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Nov 8, 2007 at 1:45 PM
    kubotab17

kubotab17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    new hampshire
    Vehicle:
    07 access 2.7 2wd sr5
    Hello everyone
    I went from an 04 Tundra Double Cab to an 07 Tacoma Extended cab 2X4 and Love it.

The only drawback I see might be in a snow storm, but Im putting dedicated snows on in the winter. The main reason was because the Tundra was way too thirsty with the gas prices like they are.
    I rarely have the whole family in the truck at a time and can still fit, but not as comfortable.
    My driving style has changed, especially entering the highway but I LOVE this truck.
    Pros :)
    Smaller More room in garage, less reaching when going to the dump, less thirsty, Cheaper tires, easier to wash and wax, and way easier to park.
    Cons :(
    Less comfortable for family in back, No 4WD, less towing capacity, and not as smooth of a ride.

Overall findings- :)
    Payload only 300 # or so less, Family rarely rides in truck but can fit if needed, less people will ask me to tow their junk but I can still tow my smaller stuff, I never bought the Tundra for the smooth ride anyway, but the big realization is, after 10 years, if gas stays around $3.00/gal I will have $31,000.00 more money in my pocket, just because of the fuel savings.

Kubotab17

2. Nov 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Welcome to T.W.

3. Nov 8, 2007 at 3:18 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I've been noticing those 1st gen Tundras on the road and wondering how much of a size difference there really is with the 2nd gen Tacomas. Doesn't seem like much from my vantage point. Is your extra garage room mostly because of shorter cab, or is there really a noticeable difference in the width of the trucks?

Oh, and welcome aboard!

4. Nov 9, 2007 at 5:27 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Welcome to TW!

My boss has an 06 Tundra Texas Edition (traded in his 05 Tacoma). If he doesn't drive his motorcycle into work, we take his truck to lunch. Those things are definitely smooth, roomy, and good to ride in.

Funny thing - he regrets getting rid of his 05' DC Tacoma. ;)

5. Nov 9, 2007 at 6:32 AM
    kubotab17

kubotab17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    new hampshire
    Vehicle:
    07 access 2.7 2wd sr5
    Thanks for the Welcome

The 04-06 Tundra Double Cabs are slightly larger than the 1st Gen Tundras.

They are built on the Sequoia platform I think.

If the 2nd gen Tacomas were out when I was purchasing, I would have bought the Tacoma. I was replacing a totaled 89 Dodge at the time and the choice was between a dodge and the tundra. Now I have a Toyota sienna and liked Toyota, but I did get 243,000 miles on my Dodge. The difference in price between dodge and tundra was 1800.00 and that was not enough to stay american.

Now I don't want to offend anyone but between the NEW Tundras and the 04 - 06 DC's, I would keep my 04. It was full 4 door with the larger bed, the new full 4 doors only have the smaller bed. Very useful if you need it, but for me it is just Too Big. Navigating parking lots was a pain with the 04, and I can put a tractor trailer almost anywhere.

The space I saved in the garage is both in width and length. Gararge 20' wide X 30' deep, Tacoma, Sienna with Kubota tractor across the back with a single door. The 04 tundra was about 230" long.

Thanks again for the welcome

Kubotab17

Products Discussed in

To Top