1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

+05 4cyl Coolant Replacement

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by afd23a, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Has anyone drained the coolant on the 2TR-FE? I'm coming up on 100k and plan on replacing the factory coolant.

I've located the drain on the radiator and the one on the engine block. Bought three gallons of the Toyota premixed pink coolant. Read the on draining the coolant.

What I'm not sure about is if I drain from those two points is that going to get all of the old coolant out. Will it really matter if there is some of the old coolant left in the block or heater core? I don't want to do a flush because that will leave water in the system and would dilute the new premixed coolant. Anybody have any advice?

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    well i havent done it one my truck just yet, but i believe that the plugs from the radiator and the block will get the majority of it out but not all of it.

also you may want to undo the tubing that is connected to the bottom of the radiator there is always a bit still in there.

other than that i really dont think that having a little bit of old coolant is bad at all but its your call man let us know how it goes!

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    As long as you're refilling the system with the same Toyota OEM coolant, I don't see a problem with a small amount of the old stuff staying in there.

The main purpose of draining and refilling this type of coolant is to renew its ability to form a protective layer on metal components that serves as a barrier to corrosion.

If you end up with 90% new coolant in the system, that's enough to renew the protective barrier.

4. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    how much is the toyota coolant from the dealer? i'm running kinda low cause my A$$hole friends opened up my coolant resivor when i was under my truck....and like half the tank leaked out when i started the truck up...

5. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    I think I paid ~$25/gallon at the stealership, pre-mixed 50/50 with water. Yes, the price is steep, but if you're flushing it only every 4-5 years, not a big deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top