1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 AC Compressor Clutch troubleshooting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YIOTTA, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Jul 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    YIOTTA

YIOTTA [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    New to me
    First off, I want to thank all the regulars for the great maintenance information on TW. I want to be good to my Taco (and not mess it up) and with your help I have done my own oil, KN filter, greased zerks, changed differential fluids, (not transfer case or transmission yet) and the squeaky leaf springs all with your help. Yeah, no fun upgrades yet but THANKS! Once I get past todays problem (and pay it off) I can work on getting nicer wheels, suspension maybe, new lighting, etc.

OK, so now I am forced to troubleshoot my air conditioning system.

My '05 TRD Sport Access Cab has no Air Conditioning and it's 100 out.
    I just bought my truck a few months ago, low miles 35K and haven't owed a Toyota since my '89 4runner. I'm not a fan of AC but it's so hot I had to try it and no AC. No, I forgot to check the AC when I bought the truck for the original owner. I figure it didn't get used much and now something siezed up. The price you pay for a low milage vehicle driven mostly in salty New England winters.

Here's what happens:
    I have the fan blower off when I start the truck, turn it on high and hit the AC button. I get a squeal for a couple of seconds (no burning rubber smell) then the squeal is gone, engine is whisper quite/smooth and the AC button light starts blinking. No cold at all.

One of you guys was nice enough to post this information that lists reasons the computer turns off the AC unit when it detects a fault:

Evap outlet air temp too low (must be a sensor somewhere)

Compressor speed does not match engine speed (slipping comp clutch?)

Refrigerant pressure too high or too low (overcharged? Leaking? bad pressure switch?)

Engine speed is too low

Rapid acceleration occurs

Seems the serpentine belt is the only item on the list I am capable of.
    So, I got a gates belt from NAPA and properly replaced the belt (yup, got the brake cleaner, toothbursh rags cleaned all the pulleys and idlers). Still the same problem. The old belt I took off was in good shape. It has no markings what-so-ever on it, which I thought was odd.

With the belt off, I can easily turn the compressor pulley and the clutch. Anyone know how to test the clutch? I'm far from an experienced auto tech but it seems the clutch is the issue, but I'm just guessing. I've wasted...errr, invested, a couple hours of daylight researching this today and I think when the system is in good working order, the clutch is supposed to pop out when the AC comes on and then you hear the jet engine sound of the compressor kicking in. I get the squeal for a couple seconds, the squeal goes away and a blinky AC light comes on...that's it. Power never makes it from the clutch to the compressor it seems.

I hear the clutch is part of the compressor unit and is not servicable. I read somewhere that a guy bought a used compressor and just used the clutch but that was one guy.

Is there anything else I should try before I bring it to a shop? The only test I read is about the relay going bad but that is usually an intermittent AC problem and not a squeal and not work problem.

And, what is the best way to find a specialized Auto Air Conditioning repair shop?

I am in Manchester NH and Bob And Sons is an Authorized NAPA Repair Center and claims to specialize in AC issues.

Glory be to TW - I'm learning a lot...FAST. It's a shame they don't make them like they used to. I had an '85 SR5 I4 and an '89 4Runner V4 that required gas, oil and brake pads for 100K. Those days are gone.

2. Jul 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    My 05 DCSB did the same thing when I test drove it, except the squeak didn't go away. the compressor was completely bad. Had to have it replaced. Problem is they replaced it with a used one. So I bought one off Amazon.

3. Jul 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    boulderz

boulderz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bump, reviving this thread. Seems to be a common problem, one I'm having! Is the clutch serviceable and how to diagnose if it is only the clutch. My symptoms are exactly the same as OP.

Thanks

4. Jul 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    While not a Tacoma video, principles apply. In the first 8 mins, a faulty idler pulley is discussed. At approx 11 min 50 sec into video you see what a faulty a/c pulley looks like. The video does not address electrical issues(stator) in depth. That said it might be worth checking out anyway. At this point you don't know what the problem is. I would watch the entire video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yflp1WFrU

And here's a pointer to the factory service manual:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/files/05FSM/repair.html

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. Jul 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    I"d say your compressor is toast, don't try to run the AC til you get it fixed. It ain't gonna be cheap.

Jimmyh likes this.
  6. Jul 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I agree it appears that the compressor is locked up.

Products Discussed in

To Top