1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Tacoma Manual 6 Speed Transmission Issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by turbowed, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jul 28, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    turbowed

turbowed [OP] New Member

Member:
    NEED ADVICE PLEASE: I have many problems with valets or even getting an oil change with people not being able to drive my truck mainly not knowing how to find reverse. So, i clearly tell every valet person, "hey, reverse is all the way to the left and up."

So I dropped my car off at this hotel and told the lady valet driver this and ran in for a meeting. I came out to find my truck basically no more than had done a uturn and 25 feet from where I left it. The guy was like, yea we couldn't figure out your clutch. Here is your keys. I hop in to find my clutch is fully lose but you can't put it in any gear and the truck is locked in first gear. Can't engage it though into any gear. Just moves around basically like its in neutral but locked in first.

So my best guess, is the lady couldn't find reverse and tried to force it and somehow locked up or broke something. I am not very knowledgeable about my truck or cars in general.

I get it taken to the shop, the valet manager files a claim with me, says Ill here from them within a few days. Long story short now, the mechanic informs me my transmission is completely locked up, they can't do anything and its going to need a new transmission or needs to be rebuilt.

I know if i was driving the truck this would not have happened. The valet company is denying any fault saying it was a mechanical failure and they couldn't possibly have caused it. Anyone out there have an idea of what could have happened and how I can prove that they very well could be at least partially if not fully responsible?

My truck, always perfectly maintained. 148k miles, oil changed regularly, recently all fluids were changed 6 months ago. All recommenced maintenance done. 4 door with TRD package, short bed. Had no issues in the lifetime of the truck, just normal maintenance items.

2. Jul 28, 2016 at 3:17 PM
    beaver_scott

beaver_scott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    renton, wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 inferno trd pro
    vent shades, tinted windows, clear bra, pop n lock tail gate lock, anytime fog light mod.
    I would think the valet company would be liable since their employee was in possession of the vehicle when it broke...but I'm no attorney. That really does suck though! When I bought my 6spd trd pro I had no idea how to use the reverse. I figured, as in some manuals, you would pull up or push down on the stick to unlock into reverse. I had no idea all I had to do was push past the "lock out" past first/second into reverse. Maybe they pulled up or pushed down on the gear shifter too hard and something bent or broke leaving the gear in first and unable to select other gears?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. Jul 28, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Try to file with your insurance company. Let them go after the valet

4. Jul 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM
    turbowed

turbowed [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tried the insurance, they looked but nothing under my policy would allow them to fight it for me because its mechanical opposed to say if the valet dented the bumper or something. And what I learned is when you accept the valet ticket, basically, they claim they are not responsible for mechanical failures which I can understand in most cases. Like they go and park you car and then go and try and start it and it doesn't start. Find out your starters done or battery is dead or whatever or perhaps many other things but this was caused by direct lack of not knowing how to use the clutch. Now had the transmission had use, sure, but was it going to fail had she not driven the car, I don't believe so one bit. It had oil, had no issues or signs prior to.

I did find a instance of another person having similar issue with a Saab and valet that forced it into reverse for something special with the saab and broke something which caused $3300 worth of damage. Same thing the valet denied covering it. The guy got the mechanic involved and eventually after a month the valet / hotel agreed to pay.

I am basically left with taking them to small claims court but just looking for information if anyone has it for what can happen if someone does force a shifter in these tacomas trying to find reverse and what that can possibly do to the truck.

5. Jul 28, 2016 at 4:30 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I may be wrong but I think the ceiling in small claims court will be lower then your expense.

6. Jul 28, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Call an attorney. Obviously the trans wasn't locked up when you drove it to them. Valet companies are inssured for these things, they just don't wanna pay the deductible. They won't feel threatened by you, but they may be by an attorney.

I had my trans rebuilt recently. You don't wanna see that bill.

Actually you probably need to know so,

A new trans from Toyota is a little under $3500, my rebuild was about $2200 plus R&R the trans for about another $5-700

cruxofthebisquit and shakerhood like this.
  7. Jul 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    MattScatt28

MattScatt28 2017 Seattle Mariners AL West Champs!

Member:
    Snoqualmie
    haha that's why you don't let people drive you truck

Norton and beaver_scott like this.
  8. Jul 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    MattScatt28

MattScatt28 2017 Seattle Mariners AL West Champs!

Member:
    Snoqualmie
    I would be pissed though!

9. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    turbowed

turbowed [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm in Colorado and can sue up to $7500 which is plenty above the cost. Valet companies by research almost always deny everything so I think they leverage the weight and practice on knowing valet clientele either has money and doesn't care and won't waste their time so they win more then they lose so they wait until you fight.

10. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    you would think at the dealer they'd see enough manuals, but every time i go in for service it's redline & slip the clutch by whoever takes my truck away.

11. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    And you still go there because....?

12. Jul 28, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    i've been to 3 dealers, it's all the same. Not many people know how to drive manuals, unless you go to a car show or something. Not gonna go on a 1 hour drive just to find a new dealer hoping someone can drive. I mainly just find humor in it, or atleast try to. Overall I probably abuse the clutch way more than one guy over reving/slipping it once or twice a year.

13. Jul 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    First you need a better mechanic.

Second sue the bastards for breaking the transmission.

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  14. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Yep, time to call a lawyer.

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  15. Aug 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    TRDPro4x4

TRDPro4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    lolz..

16. Aug 3, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    A manual is almost an antitheft device now a days.

People say dumb shit like "why would anyone want a manual?"

Because automatics are always in the wrong gear. And have weird electronic issues...

Norton likes this.
  17. Aug 3, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    TRDPro4x4

TRDPro4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought auto's used to be pretty good in cars I bought back in the 90's and 2000's. Driving any auto made after 2010 has been very disappointing. I'm all for better fuel efficiency, but not if it becomes unlikable to drive. My girlfriends 2011 honda civic's shift point between 4th and 5th gear is at 55mph..? The speed limit on two lane roads in NY is 55mph.. so it's constantly shifting between 4th and 5th gear just maintaining the speed limit. What an annoying way to drive.. it doesn't make any sense. I would prefer the convenience of an auto if they'd make one that works as it should. Until then I'll continue to row my own.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. Aug 11, 2016 at 4:20 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    ^ exactly

19. Jan 30, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    kneedeeplvr

kneedeeplvr Member

Member:
    Woodbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 6spd
    What ended up being the root cause?

20. Jan 31, 2023 at 5:27 AM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OP has not logged in since July 2016.

My guess? The valet staff tried to force the reverse shift and ended up bending or breaking the rather frail cast aluminum shift fork.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top