1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Transmission drip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lucktoday, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    lucktoday

lucktoday [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Sport
    Sport Package
    Now that my warranty has run out I find a spot on the driveway. It appears that my transmission has a slight drip somewhere at the rear by the U joint. Any ideas on what it could be. I'd rather fix it myself. I really pissed that I got a 2 1/2 year old truck with this kind of issue. I have about 38K on it so I'm figuring Toyota isn't going to fix it for me. Plus I can't believe they set it up so you can't even check the fluid level. I was really enjoying the truck up until now.

2. Feb 2, 2008 at 11:11 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds like a rear seal, how handy are you ? Depending on your tools and garage/place to do the work, you might be money ahead to have it repaired. This is the first I've heard of a transmission leak, do go off road ? maybe some damage and not a factory issue ? do you have a vibration when at highway speeds ? maybe a driveshaft needs balancing and has put some excessive wear on the bearing ? Often it is wise to look at what caused the issue, and not just repair the issue at hand.

3. Feb 2, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    lucktoday

lucktoday [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Sport
    Sport Package
    It must be a rear seal. However I never go off road and it drives real smooth, I don't think it's much of a drip but with out a dip stick I can't really keep an eye on it.

4. Feb 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    stick_my_beef_in_ur_taco

stick_my_beef_in_ur_taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    guelph,ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    white 2011 tacoma trd with leather
    tonneau cover, skid plate, step bars
    well man deffinitly sounds like a rear seal to me i worked for mr. transmission for 2 yrs and if it is leaking around the yoke then it is a real easy cheap fix.

5. Feb 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Look for spots on your tailgate that look like oil spots in the dust. That's a clear sign of a seal leaking. As others have stated, yes it is annoying on such a low mileage truck but it is not real expensive to fix right on the vehicle. Look at it this way, you get your oil changed out which is a good thing. I'd make sure the shop you use knows the proper fluid replacing procedures and uses the correct fluid. These tranny's are special and the correct Toyota fluid is essential to proper operation. Might want to check with the Dealership on this one.

6. Feb 2, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    stick_my_beef_in_ur_taco

stick_my_beef_in_ur_taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    guelph,ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    white 2011 tacoma trd with leather
    tonneau cover, skid plate, step bars
    well i deffinitly agree with the last guy on that 1 what i would do is take it in and have it done right regardless you are going to have to take it in for the fluid change/ fill up and it isnt a expensive job no more then a hrs labour

7. Feb 3, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    its prolly your rear output shaft seal. i have an 07 that started leaking at 6300 miles..it took 3 times at the dealer to get it to stop. if you have any mechanical ability you should be able to do it yourself.

Products Discussed in

To Top